AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
Either the programmers will have games search for an HDD and work both ways or there is something else we haven't seen yet. I would not imagine the game only working on 360 deluxe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,070 Posts
Everyone has their internal "compliance" testing. I am not sure MS would approve a game without the ability to work on any XBox.


Someone posted earlier asking if caching would be needed.. now if Sony is planning 1080P without a HD.. why would the 360 NEED one to run the game?


Perhaps the faster/more memory and fast multicore CPus have made the Morrowing style HD use obsolete?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
is this going to be an issue?
No, every game MUST work without the HDD. Whether or not the developer chooses to use the HDD when it's attatched, tha'ts another story.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsguy
No, every game MUST work without the HDD. Whether or not the developer chooses to use the HDD when it's attatched, tha'ts another story.
i hope you are correct..seems simple enough to do
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
This is where a lot of the outrage is coming with the non-standard HDD stuff. Yes, developers can write flags into titles that will use the HDD if it's there, but it's not going to be as efficient as if it was present on EVERY XBOX. Truthfully, the current Xbox didn't have a lot of games that took advantage of the hard drive, but almost every AAA title did. Not having it standard won't help the advancement of improvements that come along with having a hard drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,250 Posts
I can get a 20g HD for 20 bux. Why are they marking up a 100? WHy is the 64 meg memory card 40 when 1gb usb runs that much?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Giving the public no choice and only one version of the xbox 360 IMO is a bad idea. $399 is expensive in alot of folks eyes. I think MS made the right decision in having 2 models of the 360.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerall
Giving the public no choice and only one version of the xbox 360 IMO is a bad idea. $399 is expensive in alot of folks eyes. I think MS made the right decision in having 2 models of the 360.
I disagree, $299 is only a perceived value. Once you buy necessary accressories you ended up paying more then the higher model. 2 SKU's only hurts the players because many devs will not use the HD for their games now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it true that the HD on the original XBOX was used as a cache to make up for the limited memory? If so, how do we *know* that the increased memory on the 360 won't make up for that usage?


Then the third question is: would using a HD cache for the 360 *plus* the increased memory improve performance (versus memory only), make no difference, or degrade performance?


I'm not a techie, so I don't know the answers for sure, but doesn't that pretty well lay out the issues?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,357 Posts
There is speculation that the HD is not needed as much as it was before. More memory, faster processing, etc. can mean loading more in the background off the disc instead of caching to the drive. Might make developers optimize their code better and reduce loading times.


I also bet there is a flash memory chip onboard with enough memory to hold a few XBOX Live accounts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,075 Posts
No console ever used a HDD for system cache, this is what CPU RAM is for.


And seriously if you guys saw developers using HDD for system cache you will shoot the game, burn it, drive over it, maybe even poop on it...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3
I can get a 20g HD for 20 bux. Why are they marking up a 100? WHy is the 64 meg memory card 40 when 1gb usb runs that much?
Probably because it is custom made for the 360 with pre-loaded data?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin
Probably because it is custom made for the 360 with pre-loaded data?
Also it is 2.5" form factor, not 3.5" and also it is removeable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,116 Posts
 http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/i...owtopic=145879


Confirmation from the horse's mouth. And notice he hints that you should try to have one.


And here's a quote from a forum member who is working on the game


"No, it won't be scaled down at all. It'll be the exact same game, with the exact same content with or without the HDD. And no, that doesn't mean it's scaled down to begin with."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsguy
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/i...owtopic=145879


Confirmation from the horse's mouth. And notice he hints that you should try to have one.


And here's a quote from a forum member who is working on the game


"No, it won't be scaled down at all. It'll be the exact same game, with the exact same content with or without the HDD. And no, that doesn't mean it's scaled down to begin with."
That just proves the point that the HD has been rendered a mere peripheral that developers won't use except for saved games, lame downloadable video clips, and other multimedia crap.


The HD is now in the same category as the light gun, $200 Capcom joystick, PS2 HD, DDR dance pad, boxing gloves, etc.


As long as a lot of people don't have a HD, there's no reason why a developer would spend a lot of time to take advantage of it. Developers always want to maximize the audience and therefore, they always program for the lowest common denominator.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime
That just proves the point that the HD has been rendered a mere peripheral that developers won't use except for saved games, lame downloadable video clips, and other multimedia crap.


The HD is now in the same category as the light gun, $200 Capcom joystick, PS2 HD, DDR dance pad, boxing gloves, etc.


As long as a lot of people don't have a HD, there's no reason why a developer would spend a lot of time to take advantage of it. Developers always want to maximize the audience and therefore, they always program for the lowest common denominator.


I must say that having the HD on the Xbox and just using it for gamesaves has been an incredible feature all by itself. I for one was sick of the whole memory card thing and the fact the HDD stored every single game and save with virtually no management on my part changed the way I looked at and used a console.

I would happily pay $100 for the drive as long as all games can be saved to it. The rest is a bonus like saving music and so on.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top