AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Panasonic Professional Display division has a 103" plasma for $50K, and Panasonic has shown a 150" model. Sharp has a 108" LCD display. While the prices are outrageous for most home users, we all know large flat panel prices have been dropping quickly (think about how much a 50" display panel cost just a few years ago). It doesn't seem like it will be all that long before 100"+ displays are affordable for home use. Will that make front projection for home theaters obsolete, or is there something with front projection that a panel can't duplicate once they both display the same size image?

Michael

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
I think we are years off before that could even be considered.

First, most flat panels are just hitting the 65" range (the 100" sizes are typically for the rich or commercial use).

Second, even when they hit 100" for consumers they will cost too much for the average Joe.

Thirdly, for those of us who have home theaters in the basement and steps that take a 90 degree turn you're outta luck getting a 100"+ screen down the steps and around the corner. This would obviously knock out some potential customers.

I just don't see this happening for a very long way down the road until OLED is affordable and we get roll up screens.

·
Registered
271 Posts
One advantage that a good FP (i.e good convergence) has over any flat panel, is the ability to overlay each of the RGB pixels, which removes the 'fringe' colors on the edge of whatever is showing. Assuming you are sitting close to the screen to mimic a theater (1.5x screen width).

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/17049595

Eventually displays will be flexible roll ups that you unroll and hang on a wall like a poster. But maybe not in my lifetime. Projectors will be obsolete.

It could well be that projectors will be obsolete, but it depends on what size and formats OLED is available in. There are enthusiasts in the 20K and up forum that have cinemascope format screens 14 to 20 feet wide in a dedicated theater room. They will not swap their projectors and screens out for a 100" diagonal 16X9 OLED screen if that is the largest size available and the only aspect ratio available. They will keep their projectors and screens and replace the Kuro in the family room with the larger OLED screen. And what about the people in the under $3,000 forum, which Alan once said is much more active than the over $3,000 forum? If a 100" diagonal 16X9 OLED screen will cost them $4,000, a lot of them would buy a projector because they can buy one for under $1,000.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Not for me. It's not the size that makes me purchase a projector, it's the look and feel of a truly cinematic experience that makes me purchase a front projector instead of a flat panel. Actually my screen is only 72" wide anyway. I just prefer to watch movies on a projection system, rather than a plasma or LCD. Besides the front projection market is tiny to begin with and has survived many advances in consumer model televisions over the years, The small niche of people that are loyal to front projectors will stay loyal as the next 10 or 15 advances in technology tinkle out over the next 10-20 years.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrd /forum/post/17050387

They will not swap their projectors and screens out for a 100" diagonal 16X9 OLED screen if that is the largest size available and the only aspect ratio available.

Actually high end systems will involve covering all the walls and the ceiling with a screen and a processing box will determine which portions of the "screen" will be used for the selected program content.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/17049595

Eventually displays will be flexible roll ups that you unroll and hang on a wall like a poster. But maybe not in my lifetime. Projectors will be obsolete.

Yep, just like current PJ screens, & to compete with that would be halogram projectors.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
It seems like this discussion occurs every year at about this time. Every time it does, the responses are the same. It is a dream, with no practical solution given the present technology. Right now, large flat panel displays remains the stuff of science fiction.

1) Large panel displays always cost 10 to 20 times that of front projectors.

2) The problem with dead pixels goes up geometrically (if not logarithmically) as the panel size increases (part of the driving force of #1).

3) Large panel displays consume 2 to 4 times the power of PJs.

4) Until "roll-up" panels are developed, large panel displays will only be installable as part of a room construction (not a biggie if #1 is no object).

For the rest of us, the big screen HT will remain the affordable domain of FP technology for a very long time (about 10 years, or more, based on the current rate of development). The current world financial woes aren't helping either.

SteveMo -- A Laser driven display is still a projection system (not a flat panel display).

BTW, it's "Laser" (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation) not "Lazer" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser ).

img eL -- That's "Hologram", not "halogram". Now a hologram display would be very interesting (and was talked about at least 10 years ago). You can see hologram displays at Disneyland.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe /forum/post/17051115

img eL -- That's "Hologram", not "halogram". Now a hologram display would be very interesting (and was talked about at least 10 years ago). You can see hologram displays at Disneyland.

Yep, thats what I'm talking about. How do those hologram displays at Disney compete with current projectors?

·
Banned
365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts /forum/post/17050462

Not for me. It's not the size that makes me purchase a projector, it's the look and feel of a truly cinematic experience that makes me purchase a front projector instead of a flat panel. Actually my screen is only 72" wide anyway. I just prefer to watch movies on a projection system, rather than a plasma or LCD. Besides the front projection market is tiny to begin with and has survived many advances in consumer model televisions over the years, The small niche of people that are loyal to front projectors will stay loyal as the next 10 or 15 advances in technology tinkle out over the next 10-20 years.

I agree. It's not about the size. My main projector does 101.5" wide. My ECP hobby projector is only 62" wide, which is the most an ECP can do with a 1.0 gain screen. If given the choice, I'd make the ECP my main movie watching device, even if given a 100" Kuro quality plasma. It's not about the size. A projected image looks better than a direct view and is what gives the cinematic look. I'd even take a digital LCD projector over a direct view. Everyone knows how much I love black level, but I could never give up the cinema look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by img eL /forum/post/17051100

Yep, just like current PJ screens, & to compete with that would be halogram projectors.

Now that's what I'm talking about! If I were to ever give up my projector, it'd be for a floating holographic image like the Princess Leah R2D2 image!

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Has anyone not noticed the fact that as these TV's get bigger you will need to place the speakers further and further apart. Have not heard of an AT TV yet, so even if they do make a 150" TV that will rival the price of screen/ projetor setup, I would choose the PJ.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I can't say that I am married to the PJ in the basement any more than I am married to the plasma in the livingroom or the LCD in the bedroom. We buy the TV (not necessarily the TV technology) that fits the need for the room.

That said, I find it hard to believe that flat panel display technologies can catch up to the bang for buck uniqueness of PJs in the next 5 to 10 years.

On the other hand, when I framed my screen wall, I doubled up the studs so I would have 3 of width to hit with mounting lag bolts instead of just 1.5 to hit. Just in case I would ever find myself wanting to mount a whopping big, flat panel on there some day down the road

-Suntan

·
Registered
24,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrd /forum/post/17050387

It could well be that projectors will be obsolete, but it depends on what size and formats OLED is available in. There are enthusiasts in the 20K and up forum that have cinemascope format screens 14 to 20 feet wide in a dedicated theater room. They will not swap their projectors and screens out for a 100" diagonal 16X9 OLED screen if that is the largest size available and the only aspect ratio available.

True !

Art

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave /forum/post/17051312

Has anyone not noticed the fact that as these TV's get bigger you will need to place the speakers further and further apart. Have not heard of an AT TV yet, so even if they do make a 150" TV that will rival the price of screen/ projetor setup, I would choose the PJ.

I'm sort of ashamed I didn't think of that, given I have an AT screen. That's a really good point. For a lot of people front projection is just a means to having a large TV, but they still have the room set up like for a normal TV. I think a large LCD or rollable OLED will take a lot of people out of FP (if cost effective).

But for a lot of us, we want more, we want a screen that's wall to wall, and that means speakers behind the screen. That's just not going to work with emissive displays, unless they figure out how to make OLED AT.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts