AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting a Harmony Home Control remote, but am not sure if it will work with my setup. This is new construction, so all of the walls are open for wiring, if necessary.

My plan is to have all source components in a media closet in one room and the the TV in another room (about 20-25' away from the closet). The hub would be set up in the media closet, but I'm not sure how I would control the TV. Any thoughts on how to make this work or if I'm better off with something completely different would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aari

·
Registered
111 Posts
It will work, you can leave the hub in your closet and then run the IR blaster included to your TV. 20-25ft means you will need an extension cable for the IR blaster but it will work. And don't forget when buying an extension that the Harmony uses a 2.5mm jack compared to the standard 3.5mm so you will need a converter to change jacks.

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
All Harmony models except the Smart also shoot IR directly from the remote. So local control is no problem without using any blasters or extensions for the TV. 25' should be ok, depending on how many floors/walls/pieces of furniture the signal has to go through.

Home Control is overkill unless you plan to control lights, thermostats, etc. For just home theater stuff, all you need is the Ultimate.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I appreciate the help. Sounds like Home Control should be fine and I won't even need the IR blaster. Perhaps it is overkill, but the Ultimate is considerably more money, so I may as well go with Home Control.

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
Thanks all. I appreciate the help. Sounds like Home Control should be fine and I won't even need the IR blaster. Perhaps it is overkill, but the Ultimate is considerably more money, so I may as well go with Home Control.
Sorry, I've given you bad info. Logitech has changed the names of these remotes so many times, I can't keep up.

The top of the line used to be called Home, which is what I thought you were talking about. The Smart (now called Home) DOES need IR blasters for everything. So if you go that route, you'll have to run some extension cables as the previous poster said.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I've given you bad info. Logitech has changed the names of these remotes so many times, I can't keep up.

The top of the line used to be called Home, which is what I thought you were talking about. The Smart (now called Home) DOES need IR blasters for everything. So if you go that route, you'll have to run some extension cables as the previous poster said.
So, the one that is currently called Home Control (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-home-control?crid=60) does NOT shoot IR directly from the remote? Meaning that I'll have to use the IR blaster with an extension in order to control my TV?

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
Correct. No IR on that one. Need blasters or line of sight with base. Could possibly bounce off windows and walls if not line of sight.

Sorry for the mix up.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Correct. No IR on that one. Need blasters or line of sight with base. Could possibly bounce off windows and walls if not line of sight.

Sorry for the mix up.

Yes, I just found this out last night. All my sources are in a cabinet on the left side of the room. Put the hub in there. Thought the remote would control the TV with IR, but it doesn't/didn't, so guess I misread.

But, the door on my cabinet is clear glass, so I kind of thought that the IR signals from the hub itself would have been able to control my TV - the regular IR remotes for the sources can control them through the glass - but it didn't work with the door closed. Open the door, and voila! For now, connected a mini blaster and have it looped on the outside of the door to do the TV control, until I figure out whether I'm going to keep this or not, and then probably get the stuff to make an extension cord for the blaster.

Overall, pretty happy with the system so far, but the activities seem a little finicky - like hit the "watch TV" activity and one time it turns everything on fine, but won't turn everything off, or the next time it doesn't turn everything on. And my Oppo is not certain it likes this new commander! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts