AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new approach; let's see who is really listening.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I agree with bgmac. I actually watched Showtimes boxing even though all their matches are horrible, but it was in HD (twice?).

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
A new approach; let's see who is really listening.
I was thinking the same thing last night during HBO's boxing. When Showtime did their last HD show I watched it on my 116" wide screen. I was sitting there thinking that my seat was better in a lot of ways than even the ringside seats. It was a whole different experience.

On some other issues HBO seems to want to lead. Too bad they aren't doing that here.

--Darin

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Last nights triple heavyweight program would have been terrific in HD. Three interesting fights, one with some serious blood and guts, would be something else on a large screen in HD. But going HD means more than bringing in the cameras. The entire video setup of the place the event occurs wouyld need an upgrade and that would be at a cost of likely millions.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
But going HD means more than bringing in the cameras. The entire video setup of the place the event occurs would need an upgrade and that would be at a cost of likely millions.
Not really. In addition to the HD mobile production unit, all that's required is to run temporary fiber to the camera locations. HDNet does this all the time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nice idea, Ken.

I, too, wish HBO would GET IT! Those bouts and the PQ on the last Showtime HD fights were awesome. The HDNet fights aren't big-name, but the HD really makes a huge difference.

C'mon HBO,

Brian

·
Registered
45,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Latest word is not anytime soon. Apperently they are still dealing with how to get an external HD signal into the plant. Oh well.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I would kill to see next Saturday's Holyfield/Toney fight in 1080i. That would be something else.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Back when D* was running their HD Demo loop, wasn't there an HBO segment that touted HBO's HD productions which prominently included HBO Boxing?

It sure looked great on the demo loop but I can't recall ever actually seeing HD boxing on HBO.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I wish HBO would do boxing in HD. Maybe they need to talk to HDNet and get some tips or form a partnership (HDNet handles the cameras and uplink, HBO provides announcers/boxers, HBO gets first broadcast rights, and HDNet gets re-runs after a few days to a week).

BTW, the KO in the Joe Messi fight was one of the better KOs I have seen lately.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I recall seeing a clip from HBO boxing in HD on a demo loop at a local electronics store as well.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
At first I was thinking that I wouldn't be too suprised if they did film a few fights in HD for archival purposes, but then I thought about their other in studio sports shows still being SD only.

Ken's post about not currently being able to get the feed into the plant makes sense. But why haven't they made their sports shows and comedy shows like Inside the NFL, Real Sports, Bill Mahr's show, etc in HD yet?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I tuned in to see if the fights would be in HD. When they weren't, I turned the channel.

Notice how we all praise SHOWTIME here for this HBO? This couldn't be that difficult...

·
Registered
26 Posts
My place is the "designated hang out spot" for all my friends so we watch all the big fights, games, tons of movies, etc over here and inevitably the question always comes up "Why isn't this fight in HD?" or whatever. It's pretty frustrating especially since it requires relatively few cameras versus other live events.

BTW, INHD is also showing the Laila Ali and Christy Martin fight in HD over the next few days http://www.inhd.com/products/viewPro...p?prodId=11719

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Drhill, the same reasons as why boxing won;t be in HD for now. None of the shows are done where HBO's transmission facilities are located. Inside the NFL and Real Sports are done in NY, Bill Maher is in LA. Maher in particular is done at CBS in Hollywood, which would mean a total upgrade of that studio. Even then, Maher is live, then the problem of getting a live signal into the plant. the NY shows are done in HBO facilities in Manhattan, but re on tape, so i guess only upgrading the studios would be needed, yet still expensive.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Has HBO ever done any none films in HD? It seems to me they can't handle HD themselves. They really just take HD recordings and play them. They don't do anything live.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Thanks Mark, I wasn't sure where those shows were located (or how to spell Maher right either ;) ). Makes sense, be nice if they were though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.