AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of dvd's today are made from HD masters so I wonder if the HD masters have the EE themselves or if it is added to the dvd only. It woudl be horrible if HD DVD came out and we had EE all over again. A few of my favorite movies are hardly watchable becuase of EE on the DVD.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Savageone79
I know a lot of dvd's today are made from HD masters so I wonder if the HD masters have the EE themselves or if it is added to the dvd only. It woudl be horrible if HD DVD came out and we had EE all over again. A few of my favorite movies are hardly watchable becuase of EE on the DVD.
What is EE?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
EE = Edge enhancement, as I understand it, an attempt to make the image SEEM sharper by artificially manipulating picture edges during DVD mastering.

Don't know if HD DVD will have this "enhancement"--- no doubt seeing this stuff in high definition would be spectacularly ugly.

I certainly hope it is NOT seen with HD DVD. It is an unwanted distraction, even with our present discs.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
EE is not just a function of the software, your hardware can add to this problem...and also subtract from it.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just speculating. It will be here in the next 5 years I bet if not sooner. Also While it is true some hardware can add EE it is mostly in the dvd itself.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
As far as I know, all HD-originated masters have NO EE.

EE seems to be applied only during the MPEG-2 downconversion transfer and authoring stage, so it is safe to assert HD material is free of such horrible problem.

In past years, I've seen several video demos were HD material (D-5 tape) was shown and saw or detected no EE whatsoever.

This is as it should be since EE isn't needed at all...

-THTS

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
All the more reason to want HD, Frank. BTW, I just watched the new Total Recall transfer, with its very nice absence of EE. Further evidence that I should always pay attention to you when you comment on a transfer. :)

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
RobertR,

Absolutely...yes! I also want HD in some sort of DVD format...and soon!

Glad you found the Total Recall transfer as good as I think it is, Bob. Thanks for the encouragement, too!

By the way, have you given the new Basic Instinct SE DVD a spin yet? It exhibits very low amounts of EE among other things, something that makes it look very film-like. Did you check my take on the transfer? I posted it recently. Cheers! :)

-THTS

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Frank,

:) What it boils down to is that based on my experience:

1. you have very definite ideas about what's most important in a DVD transfer.

2. What you value most matches what I value. This isn't true with every reviewer.

I really will have to check out that new Basic Instinct transfer, especially the resolution :)

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Art,

Thank you for the kind words, Sir!

Check a piece I just did about a little known, obscure movie (at least to me and until last night!) called RAT...in this Forum and see what you think. Cheers! :)

-THTS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.