Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new to the whole home entertainment thing... so ya... here it goes.

I have DirecTV w/ 2 basic boxes and 1 Tivo (Samsung) box. I want to upgrade one of my basics to a HD (most likely with DVR).

I wanted to know if the SD broadcast quality will improve (even if ever-so-slightly) by upgrading to the HD receiver.

I made a stretch by purchasing my TV (32" Aquos) so I want to know if the benefit of the HD receiver outweighs the cost (about $600 now I believe). If not, I'll be going with a wireless media center with my PC that's HD capable (D-Link DSM-520, coming soon)

Any responses would be spectacular.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Probably not, the HD receiver can't magically make SD look better.

The HD Tivo can be had online for $550 with a $100 rebate these days.

Also, unless you have some method of capturing HD on your PC, I'm not sure what good the DSM-520 would do for you over a Tivo unit...

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Actually,

It's very likely that SD will look worse on an HD reciever, unless you run s-video plus DVI/HDMI/component.

Seth

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
darn... oh well. i guess i'll just get the wireless unit.

i'll be ripping my dvds and storing then on my computer... I'll have to see how it will all come together after purchase, but that's probably the best way to waste $400 right now lol 1 terabyte (250 gb x 4) of storage is fun =]

Hopefully a few others will have suggestions or some more info

thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73
The HD Tivo can be had online for $550 with a $100 rebate these days.
I thought the consensus was to STAY THE HELL away from this unit because DirecTV was moving to a MPEG-4 format(and soon to boot) and this unit was going to be useless(I mean COMPLETELY USELESS). And that this is the reason why they are selling at $550 with a $100 rebate as compared to $999 just 5-6 months ago.

Also that DirecTV wasn't going to do anything for customers who had bought this unit. In essence they were going to leave these customers "twisting in the wind" if you will, even after they had spent over $1000 on something that will no longer be viable in the new set-up of MPEG-4

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
I'd get that wireless unit and make sure it will do what you want before you waste money on storage... I've seen other networked devices have limitations on the size of a video file they can play back.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
If I didn't already have an HR10-250, I would buy one today. I can watch what I want, when I want, in HD whenever available, and do a 30 second skip or FF over anything I'm not interested in. If I miss a line of dialog, I can go back and replay. If the actor really muddled a line, I can go back and turn on CC.

Mpeg4 will only be for Local in local digital(HD when available) programming in the top markets initially. I get that OTA right now. What I'm looking forward to with the new boxes is networking so I can do all that from every TV in the house. I'll have to be satisfied with the performance of the new unit first. I spent a full thousand for my HD Tivo a year ago May and am glad I did. I have every confidence that the Mpeg4 unit will not have too much additional cost associated with it as D* is very good at providing low cost hardware to handle new programming options.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE
I thought the consensus was to STAY THE HELL away from this unit because DirecTV was moving to a MPEG-4 format(and soon to boot) and this unit was going to be useless(I mean COMPLETELY USELESS). And that this is the reason why they are selling at $550 with a $100 rebate as compared to $999 just 5-6 months ago.

Also that DirecTV wasn't going to do anything for customers who had bought this unit. In essence they were going to leave these customers "twisting in the wind" if you will, even after they had spent over $1000 on something that will no longer be viable in the new set-up of MPEG-4
There's rumors leaning both ways on this unit, until Directv officially annouces their intentions, that's all they are, rumors. I'd still be more comfortable knowing I'll be taken care of if I buy one but my market is lower on the DMA list too so I don't except to see MPEG 4 for awhile and I can get my locals OTA in the mean time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas
Actually,

It's very likely that SD will look worse on an HD reciever, unless you run s-video plus DVI/HDMI/component.

Seth
Why is that? If you're hooked up by, let's say, HDMI how do you benefit by having an S-video connection as well? And wouldn't you have to switch to a different input source on your TV to see the S-video connection?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellps
Why is that? If you're hooked up by, let's say, HDMI how do you benefit by having an S-video connection as well? And wouldn't you have to switch to a different input source on your TV to see the S-video connection?
Because most TV's have additional comb filters and things on the RF, composite, and s-video connections to clean up SD, and yes you'd need to switch inputs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good question, and I have recent experience with both Comcast and DirecTV HD boxes.

In both cases, the SD signal from the either HD box's component output was bested by other optional connection methods. In the case of the DirecTV Sony HD200 DirecTV box, SD is much clearer over the S-video output than the component. In the case of the Comcast Motorola HD box, the SD is much clearer skipping it altogether and using the cable directly connected to the internal tuner of the Sony TV.

What this seems to indicate is, HD boxes don't do SD very well over component connections, although HD can be awesome. For SD, I'd use a seperate input, which unfortunately requires switching inputs for different signals. I've considered getting a good DVI/HDMI cable to see if that provides a good SD signal, but after looking at someone else who has one, the DVI connection didn't seem to provide any better SD than component does, at least not with this TV (Sony 55WF655).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. I think I understand what you all mean now lol

I'll probably just invest in a S-Vid cable for the box and an HD-UP dvd player for now and wait on true HD TV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.