AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if I am letting my ignorance show here. Assuming that people are correct in saying that my Sony Wega KV-32XBR400 (stated as being capable of 480i/480p/1080i, but NOT 720p) has "about 720 horizontal lines of resolution" does that mean that when viewing 1080i material, I am really only seeing 720i? If so, it seems to me that if/when "5C - DVI/HDCP" really downconverts 1080i to 480p, I will not see too much of a difference 480p vs 720i). (My set top box is also only 480i/480p/1080i). Am I close to being correct here, or am I mixing up terminology that is being used?

------------------

Rick W. Scogland

My Email Address:
[email protected]

My Home Theater:
The Scogland Home Theater

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
720 lines refers to the number of effective lines width wise, not height wise. Also, I believe it usually refers to line-pairs in which case its really a horizonal resolution of about 1440, for a total resolution of 1440x1080i.

This does not take into consideration whether or not the numbers are per-picture height, but I believe they are not spec'ed that way for HD sets. Anyone?

Andy K.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Rick -

I neither believe or understand most claims about a set's resolution but yes, it possible you will hardly see the difference on your set.

On component outputs they may down rez to 960x540 or equivalent. Someone on the OpenDTV list suggested they may do that but still output it as a slightly filtered and softer 1080i for compatibility.

It's also possible that some broadcasters, cable, and satellite guys will realize that's all the most of us with component inputs (ie everybody) will be able to see and they will take the oportunity to save the bandwidth and just send it that way.

For all I know they may already be doing that. I'm not sure it would be all that obvious on my Toshiba TN55X81 either. (though I don't like it http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif )

- Tom

------------------
Getting started with HTPC:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links , and
The Anti-DMCA Website .
s>
And Free Dmitri Sklyarovs>

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
All these statements about reduced res analog outputs

to "copy protect" HD content seems odd to me.

1> The new digital outputs (5C, DVI-HDCP) are what

would worry me if I were a big studio. Even though they may have sophisticated digital copy protection, we

know that

most all of those digital encrypted formats have been

defeated (like DECSS for DVD, SCMS defeats for DAT audio, etc, etc.)

(heck - someone evens claims to have "broken" HDCP already:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/003852.html

)

2> Even if someone had the equipment to record off the analog outputs it wouldn't be "so bad" because you would

have analog generational loss and the copies would not be exact dupes of the original. The digital copies are

what can spread indefinately and can be a big problem for the studios.

So - why are hardware makers saying that they may enable reducded res analog outputs on "old" (current)

gen equipment which doesn't have a digital HD output?

It is the new (digital output) equipment that I would

worry about!

[This message has been edited by PVR (edited 08-01-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.