AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I was doing some research on the Samsung DLP and the Sony LCD. I watched the DLp for about 3 minutes, and got a headache. Has this happened to anyone else? Will the headaches eventually go away if/when I get used to the DLP? Thank you. --Tim

·
2,432 Posts
I don't know for sure, but others that suffer as you do don't seem to end up with DLP technology. You may get used to it or you may not.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sloppyfoos
Hello. I was doing some research on the Samsung DLP and the Sony LCD. I watched the DLp for about 3 minutes, and got a headache. Has this happened to anyone else? Will the headaches eventually go away if/when I get used to the DLP? Thank you. --Tim
There are at least two well-documented members of the forum -- myself and eweiss -- who have reported this exact effect. In fact, when I went to look at the Samsung 56" and the Optoma DLP this last Monday I very much noticed a light dizziness upon getting into my car.

This is an odd feeling that resembles how you might feel when watching someone play a first-person video game over their shoulder: kind of a motion sickness. There must be something in the manner in which DLP renders its image that causes some of us to get this woozy feeling. It was the #1 reason I finally steered away from DLP and went to a 3-chip LCoS: direct image rendering.

As to how long will last. I haven't figured that out. There was one post a while back by a first generation Panny DLP owner who claimed he only felt the wooziness for the first couple of weeks and doesn't have any problem now. This suggests that your brain can be trained to get used to how DLP works.

I think this makes sense. I recently got a new pair of eyeglasses after only wearing contacts for the last 15 years. Early the first day of wearing them I was very disoriented by the image separation between the in-lense and out-of-lense images. After a while, however, my brain got used to this and quit noticing it.

If the 2003 Toshibas don't show up (or don't show up in a reasonable timeframe) I may be testing out this theory for real. I am supposed to get a replacement, but....

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Wow, I hope I don't have this problem. I have a Samsung 467 on order. In fact, the store I went through had to special order it (not something they usually carry), so there is no refund if I don't like it.

Ofcourse I've spent several hours looking at 437, 507, and 617 models in various stores. On a few occasions I had headaches afterwards, but attributed it to my job (working with fine images on a computer screen).

If it ends up I can't watch this thing I guess I'll have to sell it on ebay or something :(

I don't see any rainbows, so I'm still hopeful.

Sooke

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Sooke,

I don't see rainbows either, but definitely get the dizzy-head. At first I also attributed my reaction to it being late in the day, etc. but after eweiss pointed out that he was having this effect I realized that it occurred everytime I looked at the sets.

I do think this is something you can get used to, or that it is perhaps lessoned through different lighting, etc.

Good luck! It sucks that you can't return the set if something is wrong. Why exactly did you go through a dealer that doesn't actually carry them?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have had my DLP for about 2 months. For the first month, I experienced the disorientation and the headaches, and a lot of rainbows. I thought the set might have to go back.

But I persevered and for the past month the headaches have mostly gone. I still see the rainbows, but I have learned to ignore them.

It would seem therefore that over time the brain does learn to accommodate the DLP image, and to filter the rainbows.

From a practical pov, things to mitigate this problem I have found are:

1. sit as far away from the set as is practical,

2. make sure you have some background lighting,

3. use high-quality source material (HDTV, DVD, via DVI input),

4. don't watch too much TV!

Cheers,

-Keith

·
Registered
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BTDT
Sooke,

I don't see rainbows either, but definitely get the dizzy-head. At first I also attributed my reaction to it being late in the day, etc. but after eweiss pointed out that he was having this effect I realized that it occurred everytime I looked at the sets.

I do think this is something you can get used to, or that it is perhaps lessoned through different lighting, etc.

Good luck! It sucks that you can't return the set if something is wrong. Why exactly did you go through a dealer that doesn't actually carry them?
There was a LOT of talk in this forum about issues of fatigue / headaches / dizziness when the Samsungs were first released last year. Literally 100's of posts on it.

I don't think there was any definitive conclusion. It does seem that some people are susceptible to these types of problems with this technology. For others it seemed to be a case of concentrating too hard on viewing a TV screen (which you tend to do when shopping for a TV) in a dark place which produced some unpleasent effects once they returned to the light!

Some people even put some ambient light near/behind the TV once they had them installed (in a similar way that many do for plasmas for exactly the same reason) to avoid viewing in complete darkness which causes eyestrain.

So my only advice is to maybe try and view the sets in the type of setting you would normally - and not to "try too hard" when watching them. If you still feel ill in someway then another technology is probably better for you. Obviously if you bought at a B&M then you probably can return it.

Jonathan

·
2,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by keitheva

4. don't watch too much TV!

Cheers,

-Keith
This kind of defeats the purpose of possessing these sets! Why would you want to shut it off? Who needs a life when you have a HDTV? :)

They say that if you go to sea and are susceptible to sea sickness that you will get over it in a few days. That may hold true for this too.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Fortunately, you have the king of headaches at your disposal here. I suffer from a migraine/cluster variant and get at least 3 - 4 significant attacks a day. This was prior to getting my HLN467W a couple of days ago. Since then, the headaches have dropped to 0 a day. Ok, not really---wishful thinking. But seriously, I can say that I have not noticed any impact whatsoever to my headaches from the TV----bear in mind though, that I am typically on the computer upwards of 10 - 12 hours a day as well. Nevertheless, even when off the computer (or tv or both), it does not affect my pattern. For that matter, I've had these since age 7 (now 35) and nearly daily since age 18. So I don't think it's the colorwheel (or rainbow effect?) which I fortunately cannot see.

But yes, I can see 60 hz on a monitor----THAT gives a headache!!!

No complaints on the 467W.

Ross

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Darn! I guess DLP headaches aren't so bad then. Are you sure you didn't accidentally get a nail driven through your head when you were 7? :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Certain drugs can cause dizziness as well - even placebos (the sugar pills). It is difficult to determine the cause in all such cases. Perhaps aspirin would help. Just Kidding!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
My wife got pregnant watching the new Samsung DLP. Of course I am kidding. But if this happens it will be a problem. But seriously this does concern me. I just ordered my HLN 43W today. Should get it this weekend. I have not told anyone in my family of this potential problem. I never noticed anything when I watched it in the store.

AJ

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BTDT
Sooke,

I can return the set if it is a lemon, and it is under warranty so they will try to fix any technical problems. But I do not have the typical grace period to return it for any or no reason. Their grace period was only 7 days anyways for sets they do carry.

I ordered through them because:

1. I couldn't find anyone in my area that carried the 467.

2. They have actual knowledgeable sales people (no really ;) )

3. They had a good price.

4. They seem to have a good reputation locally.

Thanks for wishing me luck :)

Sooke

·
2,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rpgoldberg

But yes, I can see 60 Hz on a monitor----THAT gives a headache!!!

Ross
Ross,

If you are using a windows based operating system right mouse click on your desk top. Go to Properties> Setting and change your refresh rate there. Doing that (Changed it to 85 Hz) and buying a radiation filter made a world of difference!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by politicalpunk
My wife got pregnant watching the new Samsung DLP.
I gather she didn't have a headache...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sloppyfoos
I had a similiar reaction to the DLP when I was considering getting one over the summer. It was slight, but definitely noticeable. I felt that it had something to do with motion on the set. It didn't seem quite "right". I'm very susceptible to these kind of things though.

I'm still thinking about getting one a few months down the road. The pluses of the technology are pretty impressive. I just hope that I can get used to the quirks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The simple explanation (and someone probably already said it before) is that you're getting motion sickness from the motion on such a large screen. I experienced headaches and slight nausea after watching my brother's Zenith HD 56" when he first purchased the set...however, like anything, after a while you just get used to it.

I would certainly agree that placing some distance between yourself and the set so it doesn't overwhelm your senses would probably help a bit.... of course, that's just the type of sensory overload many people seek when purchasing a large-screen TV :)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
You know, it could be the strobing of the flourescent lamp, rather than the way the DLP works. Or, it could be a combination of the two?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.