AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got space in the basement of our new place (we move in June) set aside for a dedicated home theatre room. Right now the raw measurements (i.e. no studding, etc.) is 22'Lx16'Wx7'9"H. Is this ample room for two rows of raised seating?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Similiar to my build... Mine is 13.4" x 22" x 8", after double drywall and but I had to build a soffit to close up all the HVAC in the front - so it's a little lower in the front.

I did 1 row of raised seating - a riser if you will. Front row is on the floor and back row is on an 11" riser.

You have a good space... now get working!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark, took a look at your build, looks to be coming along nicely (also, my suggestion is Joshua)!

Unfortunately, I can't start the build until we take possession in June, but I figure this gives me some time to read and ask some preliminary questions.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ours was only slightly wider than yours. We quite easily found a way to lay out the room for two rows of seating.

One suggestion that worked well for us: I called a local HT custom design firm to visit and develop 2-3 alternative layouts based on our desires and available space. They had very good suggestions based on experience with hundreds of builds. They provided only consulting services, knowing we were going the DIY route. It was $500 well spent.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/18136775

Two rows no problem, where is the door located?

I've got the flexibility to run it along one of the lengths, and I'm thinking of putting it at the rear of the room, so I guess it would step up onto the second tier, or step in and then a step up to the second tier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD in Ohio /forum/post/0

One suggestion that worked well for us: I called a local HT custom design firm to visit and develop 2-3 alternative layouts based on our desires and available space. They had very good suggestions based on experience with hundreds of builds. They provided only consulting services, knowing we were going the DIY route. It was $500 well spent.

Great tip! I'll have to see if any of our local companies offer such a service.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasterize /forum/post/18137607

so I guess it would step up onto the second tier, or step in and then a step up to the second tier.

If you have the step external to the room, the riser can be used as a massive bass trap (for this it would need to go from one side of the room to the other). This is what I'm intending. But you need to consider if you'll have soffits or not. I will, so the door will only be 160cm heigh or thereabouts.....stupid I know when I am 185cm tall, but it works so much better from an acoustic perspective I dont care - you might.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD in Ohio /forum/post/18136884

Bravo!

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasterize /forum/post/18137607

step up onto the second tier.

With a height constrained theater space why are you planning a two tier space? row one can be on the ground level and row two on the riser.

Unless you can build a "grand entrance" step up outside the theater to riser height, I would bring the door in just ahead of the first row on the ground level. Personally a grand entrance has some real pizazz. See Big Reds theater or visit the show me threads and look at entrances.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I don't recall the exact dimension of my ceiling height, but it was definately an issue. I was still able to put in two 4-chair rows of seating (1st row on floor, 2nd row on 12" riser) and I have a counter/bar with extra seating behind it.

If you take a look at my build, you'll see that our solution was to hug the ceiling line with the screen. It worked out great, and you can sit anywhere in the room and there are absolutely zero line-of-sight issues.

Good luck with your build!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.