AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in purchasing either a MyHD or HiPix card.

Since I do not have a HDTV set, I will be viewing most of the content on my PC monitor. However, it would be nice to output a downconverted image to my old NTSC set (IE, watching ABC's Alias 1080i downconverted to Letterboxed 4:3 480i. At least I'd see it in widescreen and in 5.1 that way)

From what I've read, it looks like the MyHD card can output at 480i, and the HiPix can not. However, output at 480i does not necessarily mean it can downconvert a 1080i picture, so I thought I would post and ask about this. By the way, I'd like to connect to my NTSC TV via the component video cables, as my NTSC set has component inputs (but not progressive input capability).

Thanks in advance for any help,

-David

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"From what I've read, it looks like the MyHD card can output at 480i, and the HiPix can not."

David,

Both cards can downscale any resolution to 480i component output.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Far from me to disagree with master Yoda but I just checked if 480i was available under the HiPix config menu, and it is not a COMPONENT video option. I do not know if there is some hidden registry key Cliff knows about that will make this an option under COMPONENT video. However you can get a down converted image with the COMPOSITE output. Although this only works in the "normal" (non-letterboxed) mode. On a normal set people and objects would look stretched vertically. Now if you have a set like a Sony Wega series the TV with compensate with a vertical squeeze mode that would compensate for the distortion.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Chuck,

I'd have to look at my hipix to verify, but I think you can force the output resolution to be whatever you want on a channel by channel basis. I also believe that one of those choices is 480i. That output would be either on the RGBHV or component output.

The Composite output is always availible reguardless of what resolution you run on the RGBHV/Component.

--Rick

·
Registered
777 Posts
I checked the setting as suggested above and here are the choices:

1920 x 1080i

1280 x 720p

720 x 480p

1440 x 1080i

1024 x 768p

1360 x 768p

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
I stand corrected. 480i is not listed as a selectable resolution for HiPix. There is no reason why it can't support 480i with the Janus chip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.