AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SBLive 5.1 and it outputs a coax digital out. My receiver only has one coax input that my AccessDTV is using.

If I buy the hoontech adapter will it convert the coax digital to optical?

Anybody know where i can get it cheap?

Carl

·
Registered
202 Posts
What it actually does is add a I/O module that takes up a slot and connects to the SB via a 40 pin ribbon cable. On the I/O module are coax In, Coax Out, and Toslink Out connectors along with some other stuff I don't use. Check out their web page. I could only find one place to purchase it and that was listed on the hoontech web page. Check out http://www.hoontech.com/english/index.html for details. I would make SURE to order the ribbon cable because it is not a standard cable and you probably cannot find it at your local computer store.

It is a nice product but the Hercules Fortissimo comes with Toslink output and I'd look at this if I were to do it over.

Jim

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm using the one of the popouts on the back of my case for the Hoontech connectors instead of wasting a slot.

Tom Lamano

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim you're saying that the SBLive connects to the Hoontech via the ribbon cable. Will I still need to connect the coax out from the SBlive to the Hoontech's coax in?

So I guess this will work for me. Thanks.

Carl

·
Registered
140 Posts
Vocp: if you're trying to connect the Coax out from the AccessDTV, and have it pass thru the Hoontech, that's not gonna happen just yet. I have the same config, and I have to switch cables if I want to output DD from the AccessDTV. If you're okay with having the sound go thru PCM, it's okay, since that will work fine with the SB card.

Also, you don't need a "special" 40 pin cable, a standard IDE cable works just fine for around $1. You also won't need to connect the SB coax out to the Hoontech adapter, the ribbon cable between them pretty much does this. In other words, for digital audio, just use the Hoontech.

Hope you found this helpful, thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.