AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because my apartment antenna (shared by others) seems to be only VHF I can't receive any of the all UHF digital channels in the area. Very annoying when you just brought this $100 tv tuner for my pc.. I'm happy to say the SD picture looks a tons better then my cheap $20 Tv tuner card..

But now I want to get HD which was the whole reason spending money on this...

the issue is I highly doubt I would be able to get them to change the antenna.. So I wonder (I know their is no thing as a HD antenna) I wonder if I could mount one near or outside the window in hoping I can get anything as I get 0% for a signal on all ASTC stations.

Anyone have an idea? Also this is a 2 story building and just about all the stations are pointed at 238 degrees and the issue for me is I'm not line of sight and I live on the first floor.

Included is a shot I just took outside my window

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 /forum/post/0

the issue is I highly doubt I would be able to get them to change the antenna.. So I wonder (I know their is no thing as a HD antenna) I wonder if I could mount one near or outside the window in hoping I can get anything as I get 0% for a signal on all ASTC stations.

Anyone have an idea? Also this is a 2 story building and just about all the stations are pointed at 238 degrees and the issue for me is I'm not line of sight and I live on the first floor.

If you post your zip code, then we can provide some more accurate advice on whether an indoor antenna might work and what type of antenna (for VHF low, VHF high, and/or UHF) you need.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt /forum/post/0

If you post your zip code, then we can provide some more accurate advice on whether an indoor antenna might work and what type of antenna (for VHF low, VHF high, and/or UHF) you need.

Zip code is 06830

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:

Zip code is 06830

The bottom line is that you are ~ 27 miles from the NYC broadcast towers, most of which are on the top of the Empire State Building. All of the digital stations are currently on UHF. Two of the major network stations: WABC-DT ABC 7 and WPIX-DT CW 11 will be switching their digital signal to upper VHF 7 & 11 after the analog shutdown in 2009. The rest will stay at UHF. But if you are in an apartment, you may not be too concerned about 2009.

27 miles is pretty far for an indoor antenna, but it can be done if the obstructions are not an issue. Is the picture from your window in the direction of the broadcast towers or just showing your surrounding area? If you can mount an antenna outside and can orient the antenna facing the towers, you might give the AntennasDirect DB-2 or the new Channel Master 4220 2 bay bowtie a shot. You might be able to use a satellite dish mount for the antenna which oddly enough would be in the right direction at 237 degrees for future use for a satellite dish. See the CM 4220 photo at http://www.pctinternational.com/channelmaster/0612/ for how Channel Master is plugging the new CM 4220. You could add a dipole (aka rabbit ears) in 2009 for the upper VHF stations if you have to.

You could get a cheap UHF loop antenna with rabbit ears for $10 to $15, hook that up, and see how many digital stations you get. That will give you a read on whether putting up a 2 Bay bowtie has a shot at working. The 0% for ATSC is not telling you anything about your digital reception if the common antenna is VHF only.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt /forum/post/0

The bottom line is that you are ~ 27 miles from the NYC broadcast towers, most of which are on the top of the Empire State Building. All of the digital stations are currently on UHF. Two of the major network stations: WABC-DT ABC 7 and WPIX-DT CW 11 will be switching their digital signal to upper VHF 7 & 11 after the analog shutdown in 2009. The rest will stay at UHF. But if you are in an apartment, you may not be too concerned about 2009.

27 miles is pretty far for an indoor antenna, but it can be done if the obstructions are not an issue. Is the picture from your window in the direction of the broadcast towers or just showing your surrounding area? If you can mount an antenna outside and can orient the antenna facing the towers, you might give the AntennasDirect DB-2 or the new Channel Master 4220 2 bay bowtie a shot. You might be able to use a satellite dish mount for the antenna which oddly enough would be in the right direction at 237 degrees for future use for a satellite dish. See the CM 4220 photo at http://www.pctinternational.com/channelmaster/0612/ for how Channel Master is plugging the new CM 4220. You could add a dipole (aka rabbit ears) in 2009 for the upper VHF stations if you have to.

You could get a cheap UHF loop antenna with rabbit ears for $10 to $15, hook that up, and see how many digital stations you get. That will give you a read on whether putting up a 2 Bay bowtie has a shot at working. The 0% for ATSC is not telling you anything about your digital reception if the common antenna is VHF only.

Thanks for the info the view is the direction that the antenna on the roof is pointed to however I wonder about the trees.. I had planned to get Satellite tv in the later months. However I worry about it because the antenna would not be line of sight.. or well not as tall as the roof antenna

·
Registered
294 Posts
I also live 27 miles from Empire State Building.. I use an indoor amplified directional antenna.. (Terk HDTVa).. check my screenshot in my sig to get an idea about the setup.. I get 35 digital channels.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousikb /forum/post/0

I also live 27 miles from Empire State Building.. I use an indoor amplified directional antenna.. (Terk HDTVa).. check my screenshot in my sig to get an idea about the setup.. I get 35 digital channels.

YMMV

wow... 35 channels..

How high is that window with the Antenna? Im not so lucky to be on the 2nd floor.. Im trying to make a Home UHF antenna but not having too much luck here as far as getting the pieces to stay in.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:

wow... 35 channels..

How high is that window with the Antenna? Im not so lucky to be on the 2nd floor.. Im trying to make a Home UHF antenna but not having too much luck here as far as getting the pieces to stay in.

I think he is adding up all the sub-channels. If you want to try, you could get a Philips Silver Sensor UHF antenna (#PDTV1) - unamplified version - at Circuit City for $25. Or as I said before, get a inexpensive indoor UHF antenna. If you buy the antenna locally, you can return it if it does not work.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I figured it was the sub-channels added in as well.. but thats better then the only 7 analog channels I can get now.

Also will the Zenith HDTV1 work just as good as the other antenna?

Ok I ordered the Zenith also will I need a In-line amp for this or wait and see?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts

Quote:

Because my apartment antenna (shared by others) seems to be only VHF I can't receive any of the all UHF digital channels in the area.

the issue is I highly doubt I would be able to get them to change the antenna..

Does the landlord KNOW that his tenants are not going to be able to watch TV in 21 months, unless he upgrades the system, or has every tenant hanging individual antennas and dishes all over his building?

You might want to ask him, and point him to this website (and others):

http://www.DTVAnswers.com/

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0725 /forum/post/0

the double bow tie uhf has more gain then a silver sensor but the silver sensor is more directional.

alot depends on construction material of the walls which can attenuate signal further.

try the Philips Silver Sensor UHF antenna and report your results and we will go from there. or the antenna below has the sensor antenna in the plastic housing with an adjustable amp built in. also available at circuit city. it also has vhf capability.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Phili...oductDetail.do

Can I add a amp to the silver sensor? The walls here I can't tell you whats in it.. I do know this building was built back in the 50's I might have to place it in the window but the issue is my windows have 2 screens in it.. One is able to be moved up out of the way and the 2nd is a singwable screen..

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish /forum/post/0

Does the landlord KNOW that his tenants are not going to be able to watch TV in 21 months, unless he upgrades the system, or has every tenant hanging individual antennas and dishes all over his building?

You might want to ask him, and point him to this website (and others):

http://www.DTVAnswers.com/

Well I HIGHY doubt they know anything about it.. Heck I was shocked to see the antenna was still connected!

I think they feel most people here have dishes and use cable so they don't know about it.

I don't think I would be able to get them to replace it...

here is a picture of one of them (not on my building but one across from it)

·
Registered
764 Posts
If you're gonna spend $50, I'd get a DB2 from PCAlchemy and mount it in the window (or on the wall outside the window). That should pull in everything you need.

BT

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I will try a Silver Sensor first... I hope it will be here by the end of the week.. disappointing since I found out some other of the buildings have a VHF/UHF antenna where some like mine and the picture above is only VHF.

and I thought the DB2 was directional?

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:

Well I will try a Silver Sensor first... I hope it will be here by the end of the week.. disappointing since I found out some other of the buildings have a VHF/UHF antenna where some like mine and the picture above is only VHF.

and I thought the DB2 was directional?

DB2 is multi-directional.

BT

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just an update to this thread I did not get the DB2 but the signal from the Empire State Building the antenna have changed to combiner antennas so I get a much better signal and I get 18 HD channel when before I got none with the antenna pointed in the same direction.

but some stations I still have a hard time getting.. what is a good HDTV amp to get?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.