AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know. I know, these PJs are for good quality input, but, as i wait for my Panny 300 to arrive, I was wonderring. I will use mostly for DVD 480p, but, I have a rather large VHS collection, mostly movies for the little ones [ages 7 and 9]. Will VHS through composite input be at all watchable? Or will it be so bad that I'll have to give the kids a 20" VCR/TV combo?

The screen will be a modest 45" X 80".

·
Registered
173 Posts
Personally, I can't stand watching VHS on the big screen. Fortunately, 100% of my VHS collection is composed of childrens movies. We almost always watch them on one of our other TVs. However, the kids don't seem to mind the poor picture quality with the projector if we do happen to venture into the theater with a VHS tape. I think they are more into the songs and whats going on in the movie, where I am usually kind of bored and just staring at the horrible picture.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:( Once we see something in 480p or better, or HDTV, I'm sure it is sub par. But, is it really horrible? Like sitting six inches from a conventional TV?

I do have some Disney Classics and such, and some pretty good Dysney animated VHS quality tapes, I was just wonderring if they really look horrendous on a seven foot screen.

I 'spose there is no transfer capability to a different format for the home user? It would be nice to still use those 100 or so VHS titles, even though stero.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
My kids watch the Disney movies on the projector ... but they don't like to.

Probably more because I charge-back their allowance to cover the lamp cost :D

Seriously though ... I don't even really mind the picture quality. Our wedding video was proffessionally done and is on VHS tape. We watch it ... errr ... every anniversary or so. That looks pretty good.

You can certainly see me sweating!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I watch VHS with my sharp m20x and 4:3 looks great compared to a smaller TV although the image is softer. Letter boxed VHS isn't as good, but turning up the gamma helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.