AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Dish 6000 receiver and I'm PSYCHED about getting HDTV finally. I've had a Tosh 56x81 for a while now , but have yet to see HD on it yet.

I know that the software on the 6000 has an older look to it, but is it slow like a 2700 or 2800 is? I'm replacing a 4900 that I really like the program guide and the software.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I’ve had a Dish 6000 for about a month now, and love it. Especially after the last upgrade. True the interface is no frills, and pretty genetic looking, but for the most part it serves it’s purpose very well. It’s very quick. Faster than the RCA DTV receiver my friend has, and the DTC-100 I had, and much faster than the Motorola Digital Cable box I had from AT&T (Talk about SLOW!!!).

The 480i to 1080i upconversion is a little soft, but that goes with the territory. ANY upconversion will seem soft regardless of equipment because, well you’re creating resolution that doesn’t really exist. I still have to admit, I find the unconverted 480i signal very satisfactory. Dish channels look very good, and local OTA DTV looks terrific.

Above all, true HDTV looks down right amazing!

The main feature that sets the 6000 apart from every STB on the market is the great flexibility this receiver gives you in aspect control. You have 5 basic modes.

Normal, Unaltered image in it’s correct aspect (4:3 black bar or 16:9, etc).

Stretch, Pulls 4:3 images out all the way to fill the screen (Hides black bars on OTA paneled 4:3).

Grey Bar, replaces black bars with Grey bars to premote more event CRT aging on RPTVs.

Partial Zoom, A intelegent mix of zooming and stretching (I use this almost 100% of the time for watching 4:3. It is awesome! Best way to deal with 4:3 on a 16:9! Hides black bars on OTA paneled 4:3).

Full Zoom, good for getting rid of 2.35:1 black bars on HDTV movies, or 16:9 movies letterboxed for 4:3 (If that sort of thing bothers you. I prefer to zoom in 50% of the time to minimize CRT burn in.). Full Zoom is also great for watching 4:3 without any stretching, but I feel you loose too much with this mode in 4:3, partial zoom works fine IMHO.

The feature that sets this STB apart from the rest is that you have full aspect control on 1080i broadcasts! For example ALL the OTA DTV locals in Dallas broadcast a 4:3 image already paneled in black bars. Well, as far as I know, this is the only receiver you can actually zoom into the 4:3 and get rid of the black bars (Use Partial Zoom, it’s great!)! If you fear uneven CRT burn, than you will find this receiver a godsend!

For the most part, I have little to complain about. There are a few quirks and bugs with the guide, but nothing major. If I had a choice to do it over, I would go dish all over again. Everyone I have dealt with has been very nice and knowledgeable. Prices are good. I get the Dish EVERYTHING pack for under $70 a month, my friend gets the DTV everything pack for closer to $80-$90 I think. I don’t think you’ll be dissatisfied.

Enjoy!

Bill

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Bill!!! It's nice to have good neighbors on the Forum that can give good help!

Chris

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have had a 6000 since they first shipped. I think you'll be very happy with it. It's a good solid box and doesn't ever seem to "flake out" on me. True, it doesn't have a sexy interface. However, it works well and gives you a pretty fair amount of flexibility. Most importantly, it can be upgraded. Of course by 2002 you will want the new HD Dish PVR!!

·
Registered
640 Posts
If you have a 16:9 TV, which I think you mentioned you do, you won't like the new software upgrade on the 6000. Try to get one with the old software.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick G:
If you have a 16:9 TV, which I think you mentioned you do, you won't like the new software upgrade on the 6000. Try to get one with the old software.

Not quite sure I follow you. I have a Toshiba 40H80 (16:9) and have no problems at all with the upgrade. Care to elaborate...?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Patrick,

I followed your attempts to get a non-upgraded model for a while. I have a 16x9 Monitor and have no problems at all with the new software related to having a 16x9 display. What did I miss?

I do have problems with getting switched to a promo channel if the channel I'm switching to isn't in the current guide, but generally I thought it was a good upgrade. Certainly, the overall speed was much improved.

Dennis

------------------

Dennis Whiteman

FastPipe Media, Inc.

·
Registered
640 Posts
With the old software, the receiver switched to the proper picture mode (Normal) when detecting an HD channel. This intuitive feature was eliminated with the software upgrade. You now have to manually switch to Normal mode.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
That's a pretty small problem given that I normally watch most things in Normal mode. Plus, the Partial Zoom mode now actually is useful and you now have the ability to actually zoom into HD content, which could be handy if the Sopranos shows up window-boxed on Sunday night and I have to zoom into it to fill my 16x9 screen. Plus, the quality of the zoom modes seems a bit improved.

Dennis

------------------

Dennis Whiteman

FastPipe Media, Inc.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm with Dennis. All of the improvements in the new software make the oversight of having to switch to Normal for regular 16x9 HD viewing a minor inconvenience.

I can now watch anything on HD and zoom it it if I need to. The program info is there instantaneously, whereas before I'd have to sit and wait. And the problems people have with the look of the interface completely eludes me. Open TV would be nice, but I can live without it. It hardly obsoletes this unit.

Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.