AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah...looking at getting an X1 (note that I have no experience with pj systems, not even seeing one in action ;) ).

I also have an 11 mo. old daughter.

Thus, I'm slightly leery of permanent wall screens...

I've heard the Da-Live HCCV is a great screen for the X1, but a Da-Snap 80x60 HCCV screen would cost about $800. Youch. I then took a look at the Model B...with CSV and using a High Power screen, it comes in under $400.

Is the difference between the two screen materials that drastic? The pull-down also has the added bonus of being (somewhat) portable...

Any opinions?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Go with what's behind door No. 2. The DaLite HiPower is ideally suited to the X1 AND can be rolled up away from inquisitive little hands. BTW, its CSR.

Jason Turk(ey) here at AVS will sell you one for a very good price.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will an 80x60 HiPower do well enough (concerned about brightness) with the X1? The pj will be 15 feet from the screen, and that's the min screen size at that distance...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a similar setup Anakin: X1 mounted about 15 feet from from a 60x80 High Power Model B with CSR. It works great. Yes, you lose the added gain by ceiling mounting the projector but it's still very bright. And supposedly the High Power will hide (when viewing) any wrinkles that will develop on the screen. I've only had mine 3 months and there are no wrinkles on it, yet.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I second Tyro and Ebola. I have similar X1 setup, 13.5 feet from screen with a 60X80 HP Model B with CSR. Great setup.

I also recommend extra matting (border) materials on top of the screen to give you some flexibility of vertical positioning. The standard is 2" on all four sides. I added 16" on top and 6" on the bottom. My extra matting adds about 10% to the cost of the screen but is well worth it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Matting sounds good but what happens when you watch a widescreen DVD on these 4:3 screens ? Do you just put up with the extra white screen segments above and below the image ?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Originally I got the extra 6" on the bottom so I could at least blackout the bottom unused portion (letter box) of a 16:9 picture but I found myself not worry about adjusting the screen. The unused portion on the white screen looks rather dark on my screen and it don't bother me. This is an option for those who might be bother by it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.