AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced my bedroom Sony wega crt with the panny 32lx700 (SA3800hdtv stb). The latter is my first HDTV, and it is truly a great choice (BTW, I'm not a gamer, just tv). I'm now in the market for a 50" tv for the livingroom. I'm considering the panny 50pz700/750u rather than a lcd because of its great reviews and the fact that the picture may be more "natural.". I'd like to know if after watching an lcd tv will I find the plasma pq disappointing? BTW, I'm not one of those who go for a very bright, vivid picture. I tend to like the warmer colors and don't really need the pop that sometimes comes with the lcds. I guess my concern is that even though my lcd is set to an eye pleasing, non-fatiguing brightness/contrast picture, will plasma, by comparison, look somewhat unfulfilling/lackluster/dull. That is, after ocassional lcd viewing will my main viewing on the plasma cause me to regret the choice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Are you watching an SD or HD source? Some HD and mostly SD or vice versa?


I think SD looks better on plasma. I havent had a direct comparison of HD vs LCD and Plasma. I've got a Panny plasma for my everyday TV and I have no PQ complaints at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far, all good responses. I'll be watching both SD and HD. I intend to run the incoming cable into my stb and then hdmi to my AV receiver with hdmi to the tv. Another option that I am considering is to split the incoming cable between the tv and the stb. This way I can get SD (at least channels 1-100 on comcast) directly into the tv. I would do this only if there is a real difference in SD pq between direct cabling and split cabling. BTW, SD looks great on my panny 32lx700 (both stb and direct cable)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
With controlled ambient lighting, and idealume bias lights behind the panel, you will love the pq on the 700 or 750. When properly adjusted (ideally calibrated) and set to the dimmer cinema mode, it provides an excellent viewing experience.


However, in a bright room, during the daytime, with the blinds open - you may find it dim in comparison to your LCD. If you set it to custom or standard mode, and bump the picture and brightness up a fair bit (there is also a light black/dark black toggle for black levels if brightness is washing them out) - you can get a pretty decent picture.


But my 700U is much more enjoyable to watch when I am making some effort to close the blinds and kill the incandescents.


If I were you, I would wait a couple of months for the 2008 Panasonic models. They have a FAR better contrast ratio, brighter whites, and black levels that are in the same ballpark as the 8g pio's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster /forum/post/12979452


So far, all good responses. I'll be watching both SD and HD. I intend to run the incoming cable into my stb and then hdmi to my AV receiver with hdmi to the tv. Another option that I am considering is to split the incoming cable between the tv and the stb. This way I can get SD (at least channels 1-100 on comcast) directly into the tv. I would do this only if there is a real difference in SD pq between direct cabling and split cabling. BTW, SD looks great on my panny 32lx700 (both stb and direct cable)

I split and go to the cable box and directly to the TV in case I have two things being recorded and want to watch a third. You should at the very least get broadcast HD from Comcast when you plug it in directly as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joners /forum/post/12978646



I think SD looks better on plasma.

Well I'm glad I got a plasma then because I think the SD looks terrible, I cant imagine it on LCD!



Although, I am currently using an OLD Tivo unit, hopefully the SD picture will be better with a newer satellite box (HR-21 waiting to be installed)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattldm /forum/post/12980786


Well I'm glad I got a plasma then because I think the SD looks terrible, I cant imagine it on LCD!



Although, I am currently using an OLD Tivo unit, hopefully the SD picture will be better with a newer satellite box (HR-21 waiting to be installed)

On my 32lx700, although hd is certainly better than sd, the sd on this unit is just about as good as it was on my 27" sony wega. Actually, I don't think I gave up anything in viewing experience with the panny lx700.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster /forum/post/12981017


On my 32lx700, although hd is certainly better than sd, the sd on this unit is just about as good as it was on my 27" sony wega. Actually, I don't think I gave up anything in viewing experience with the panny lx700.

I think alot of my problem with SD has to due with my older Tivo box?? Like I said, I hope its better with the newer HR-21
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMind /forum/post/12980386


I split and go to the cable box and directly to the TV in case I have two things being recorded and want to watch a third. You should at the very least get broadcast HD from Comcast when you plug it in directly as well.

Does it make the signal much weaker if you split it? I tried this and afterwards on a couple of channels on the set top box it pixels some and goes in and out, this was the best I got, on two other splitters I tried it was lick watching a scramble channel. Am I just on the edge with signal strength and this makes it happen. When I go back to normal with no splitter there are no problems. I would like to do this since I did get the local channels in HD this way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,739 Posts
If you don't require a really bright image I think plasma will suit you fine. You may even want to consider the Pioneer 5080 as well. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbriana /forum/post/12981171


Does it make the signal much weaker if you split it? I tried this and afterwards on a couple of channels on the set top box it pixels some and goes in and out, this was the best I got, on two other splitters I tried it was lick watching a scramble channel. Am I just on the edge with signal strength and this makes it happen. When I go back to normal with no splitter there are no problems. I would like to do this since I did get the local channels in HD this way.

I have a relatively good cable signal and splitting the signal between my STB and the TV hasn't made any appreciable difference in sound/video quality.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top