AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

It's been awhile since I've posted here. I'd like to get a little advice on how to connect my xbox, tv and surround sound system.

Here are my components:

Led tv - samsung un46d6000

Surround sound - samsung htd5330

Xbawks 360

Hd cable box

Here is what I'm planning.

- Xbox to tv via hdmi

- cable box to tv via hdmi

- tv optical out to surround sound receiver optical in via optical cable

This is probably the cleanest setup but I am not sure if this will give me 5.1 audio since everything is running through my tv. I also like this because I won't have to change audio inputs. Will this setup give me true 5.1 audio?

I can alway resort to connecting my xbox to my receiver directly with an optical cable but this would mean I am sol on 5.1 audio from my cable box since the receiver only has 1 optical in.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
The only thing your TV is capable of outputting 5.1(just like 98% of all the TV's made) is OTA. Maybe an app can bring in 5.1.

Anything that comes in from ANOTHER source is sent out 2.0 PCM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is what the manual says

As stated in the manual "When the receiver (amplifier or DVD home theater) is set to on, you can hear sound output from the TV’s optical jack. When the TV is receiving a DTV signal, the TV will send 5.1 CH sound to the amplifier or DVD home theater. When the source is a digital component such as a DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB (Set-Top-Box) satellite receiver and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 CH audio will be heard from the amplifier or DVD home theater. If you want to hear 5.1 CH audio, connect the digital audio out jack from your DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB satellite receiver directly to an amplifier or home theater."

So it looks like i'm screwed

This is a brand new tv, why doesn't it have this feature. And why does my receiver have 1 optical in.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Cause(no offense) you bought a throw away stereo system with minimal ability.

IF you paid $500 for that, sorry(that is the price I found).

You can get MUCH BETTER audio for under $600, if you can return that Samsung system.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I think you would be better off buying a true home theater in a box and a separate blu ray player. You won't get anything high end for that budget, but I have been happy with the sound of my 10 year old Onkyo HTIB.

Here is one example that may fit your budget and needs:

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3400...3291681&sr=8-1

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
A "beginner" receiver from somebody...(all prices are on Amazon...you might find lower prices on the Denon via EE)

TX SR309($210)

RX V371 ($224)

AVR 1312($250)

VSX 521 ($189)

STRDH520 ($199)

Sony SSB1000 x2 ($45 a pair)

Sony SSCN5000 ($73)

BIC V1020 ($148)

$561 with the Denon, $500 with the Pioneer...

Any of those options totally trounce the Samsung. That doesn't include a BD player, but you can find used ones on Ebay for $50.

·
Registered
30,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20819252

Any of those options totally trounce the Samsung.

True.

Quote:
That doesn't include a BD player, but you can find used ones on Ebay for $50.

Or new ones at WalMart for well under $100.

·
Registered
28,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20819252

A "beginner" receiver from somebody...(all prices are on Amazon...you might find lower prices on the Denon via EE)

TX SR309($210)

RX V371 ($224)

AVR 1312($250)

VSX 521 ($189)

STRDH520 ($199)

Sony SSB1000 x2 ($45 a pair)

Sony SSCN5000 ($73)

BIC V1020 ($148)

$561 with the Denon, $500 with the Pioneer...

Any of those options totally trounce the Samsung. That doesn't include a BD player, but you can find used ones on Ebay for $50.

Any of those receivers would work. If you have a Frys close by you can get the Onkyo NR509 for $199 this week. Add this Jamo 5.1 system and you have a good setup for $400.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

Add a Blu Ray player of choice under $100.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A13ACIRM091OJE

It'll be much better than your Samsung setup.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Fry's has the NR509 for $200?

Geesh.

Off topic question...

Is Fry's a "re-incarnate" of that fiasco that was Incredible Universe? The three Fry's I've seen all occupy a building that used to be Incredible Universe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts