AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fairly modest setup, including RBH 616/615 inwalls and inceilings. I presently have an older Sony 5.1 receiver which I plan to soon upgrade. My question is whether there will be any discernable difference with TrueHD and DTS-HD versus a good DD or DTS soundtrack.

I've read comments that better equipment, as one could easily predict, will make the improvement more noticeable. Do you need to have "audiophile" grade stuff before you start to hear the improvement, or would a decent receiver (say, like the Onkyo 875) paired with my current speakers result in something noticeable for an average guy like me?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
It depends.

All people are different. Some people were affected by DLP "rainbows" while other were not. Some people can here past 20khz some can not get to 16khz....

Everyone is different. In the end, the only one that can answer the question you asked is, yourself.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I seriously doubt it. Ever tinker around when copying your cds to your computer as in Windows Media Player and the like. Try using different bit rates and listen for a difference. There isn't a discernable difference unless you turn the bitrate down very low. Same deal with this True HD and DTS HD. There just isn't a big difference in the bitrate so you won't hear any difference. Some will say so to justify buying new equipment. Marketing just to sell you new stuff. Flame on if you like.

·
UHD Addict
38,220 Posts
It all depends on your hearing capability, your equipment and speakers. All those will affect how much of a difference you can hear.

·
Banned
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck /forum/post/13061860

I seriously doubt it. Ever tinker around when copying your cds to your computer as in Windows Media Player and the like. Try using different bit rates and listen for a difference. There isn't a discernable difference unless you turn the bitrate down very low. Same deal with this True HD and DTS HD. There just isn't a big difference in the bitrate so you won't hear any difference. Some will say so to justify buying new equipment. Marketing just to sell you new stuff. Flame on if you like.

Good post

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Yes, you will hear a difference. Audio systems generally sound better in proportion to the amount spent, or, as many put it: "You get what you pay for."

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I noticed a significant difference when upgrading from a Technics Dolby Surround Receiver to my current Sony DD/DTS 5.1 receiver some years ago. I certainly wouldn't expect the jump to lossless formats to be as significant as this previous upgrade was though. I am cognisant that my speakers may be a limiting factor, so would be curious if anyone with a modest speaker package has an opinion on how lossless formats sound versus lossy.

When playing mp3s through my home system I actually can hear a difference between something encoded at 128kbps versus 320 (can't on my computer speakers though). In fact, I just finished re-ripping 300 or so CD's to 320 which I had ripped a few years ago at 128.

·
UHD Addict
38,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee /forum/post/13062243

Yes, you will hear a difference. Audio systems generally sound better in proportion to the amount spent, or, as many put it: "You get what you pay for."

So you're saying those expensive BOSE systems sound really good?

·
Registered
4,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/13066527

So you're saying those expensive BOSE systems sound really good?

Only the really expensive ones. It's just the way people work. Placebos dispensed by a doctor can make you well, too. We're influenced by our expectations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ya know, i doubt we will hear that much difference, but there is one thing that I hope it will correct: center channel clipping.

There was a thread a while back complaining how a lot of channels clip, often the main channel during a loud moment. I at first though maybe it was because of my system, but then others came forward and complained too, and they had high end systems. We realized most of us noticed clipping during yells or other loud moments, even when our speakers and systems could handle the sound just fine.

I hope DD+/DTSHD will provide enough space for the sound to no longer clip as frequently as it does. (frequently being at most at one point durring a dvd, on maybe one in 5 dvd's)

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
The codec has ZERO to do with clipping on dialog in film. In virtually all cases, this clipping is simply due to poor recording of the dialog and has nothing to do with the media or codec.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee /forum/post/13062243

I disagree with this. I have heard systems that cost less than mine and sound better.

In regards to the TrueHD/DTS-HD, it is really going to be hard to hear the differnces. We have done some A/B testing, and there were some minor differnces.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

Quote:
Ya know, i doubt we will hear that much difference, but there is one thing that I hope it will correct: center channel clipping.

There was a thread a while back complaining how a lot of channels clip, often the main channel during a loud moment. I at first though maybe it was because of my system, but then others came forward and complained too, and they had high end systems. We realized most of us noticed clipping during yells or other loud moments, even when our speakers and systems could handle the sound just fine.

I hope DD+/DTSHD will provide enough space for the sound to no longer clip as frequently as it does. (frequently being at most at one point durring a dvd, on maybe one in 5 dvd's)

I hear clipping on a LOT of dvds with dialog. two or three times in lotr tt, all the time in sw III ROTS, a couple of times in sw II AOTC, all the time in sw IV ANH, all the time in 300, most movies have it at least once. rotk did not have it, but it had another problem...during pippen's song, there is a high pitched whine, that the person who mixed it probably could not hear because of how highly pitched it is. also during denethor's wizard pupil speech, there is a constant hiss as he talks. it is actaully pretty distracting. most movies also have this hissing during dialog as well.

it is the one (well, two) things that annoys me the most in my ht setup

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

Quote:
The codec has ZERO to do with clipping on dialog in film. In virtually all cases, this clipping is simply due to poor recording of the dialog and has nothing to do with the media or codec.

well, they should then get their act together, because a LOT of bad recording then occurs

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
There's really no question that lossless audio formats such as TrueHD, DVD-Audio, and SACD sound better than lossy codecs. The difference is quite clear, even on moderately priced equipment. The real question is one of value. TrueHD transcoded to 640kbps DD over optical sounds pretty darn good, too. Is it worth the expense of a new receiver or a $500 HD player to go from the DD transcode to lossless? Listen and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
There's a simple answer for this question, if someone with the proper software would be willing to do some work.

What's needed, is to encode something in Dolby Digital (using a normal DVD bitrate) and TrueHD, and then to decode them both to WAV files.

Distribute the WAV files via a web page with the information on a different page, so you can download and listen to them BEFORE knowing which codec was used.

That would be fairly conclusive, IMHO. Any potential buyer could use that as a tool for determing how much time and money they want to invest in lossless.

Needless to say, you would want to use good headphones and some hardware with a decent output (laptop outputs are probably not very good.)

·
Registered
4,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/13079632

What's needed, is to encode something in Dolby Digital (using a normal DVD bitrate) and TrueHD, and then to decode them both to WAV files. ...

If this is to compare lossy to lossless, using DD+ rather than DD would be more relevant, and there should be 7.1 channels. But I don't think many people are going to be able to play 8 channel x 16 bit wav files on a high quality sound system. I know that I can't.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Will I hear any difference with TrueHD/DTS-HD?

Yes. Because often they are mixed differently from the standard DD track. Now the difference may be better or it may be worse depending on what the guy twiddling the knobs did. It's unlikely most people would hear a difference based solely on the codec but it's easy to hear differences in the mix -- just like the DD track is often mixed differently from the DTS track.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No Catapult I believe you are incorrect.

Won't the DD track be dynamically generated from the DDHD track simply at a lower bitrate/codec. so it will actually be an identical mix, simply "downmixed"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts