AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently have the Marantz UD5007 and am Currently waiting for the Marantz AV7702 to be released for the atmos technology. Going to be running a 7.2.2 setup. Now my question is...will the AV7702 handle all the upscaling for the audio or does the blu ray player play a role as we'll? Will I need a new player?

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
No. The encoding will be in the bitstream output from any Blu-Ray player. Decoding will be the responsibility of the Atmos-capable receiver or processor.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in a situation where I can swap the UD5007 for an Oppo BDP-103D. Would this be a wise decision?

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Maybe. Do you need all the extra things an Oppo can do? The Blu-Ray picture quality will show little difference. Reasons to get an Oppo have to do with the features it has, the build quality and the customer support. If you just want to play Blu-Rays, you're probably better off saving your money. And I say this as an Oppo owner.

·
Super Moderator
16,665 Posts
If we're leaving the topic of Dolby Atmos, let's take specific player questions to the player threads and leave this for Atmos.

Thanks.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Just looking at Yamaha's site earlier today, and specifically at the new Aventage range. Seems the RX-A1040 has Atmos capability. Don't remember whether the capability is available further down the range.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
The answer is in this document on pages 4 and 5: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-for-the-home-theater.pdf

Basically, any Blu-Ray player that conforms to the Blu-Ray spec (which is essentially any player) will work. The decoding is done in an ATMOS-capable AVR/processor, not in a player. Any Blu-Ray disc that is encoded for ATMOS will simply send the sound as a bitstream for the AVR or processor to decode.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The answer is in this document on pages 4 and 5: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-for-the-home-theater.pdf

Basically, any Blu-Ray player that conforms to the Blu-Ray spec (which is essentially any player) will work. The decoding is done in an ATMOS-capable AVR/processor, not in a player. Any Blu-Ray disc that is encoded for ATMOS will simply send the sound as a bitstream for the AVR or processor to decode.
Thanks for clearing this up, I have a PS3 Slim and I was wondering if I needed to upgrade that as well at the receiver for Atmos.

So much tech coming to our living rooms, I see the 4K BD discs are supposed to be out early next year, I can assume that the Atmos track will be mixed in as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Please Help...How to determine if Blu-Ray Player plays Atmos

I have a Samsung C6900..Can anyone tell me if it plays Atmos?

If not, suggested 3D Blu-Ray Player?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Atmos, DTS X, HDR decoding

Do you think that Atmos, DTS X, HDR decoding will be available on any upcoming blu-ray players utilizing analogue outputs?

My pre died recently, and im looking at alternative set up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No. The encoding will be in the bitstream output from any Blu-Ray player. Decoding will be the responsibility of the Atmos-capable receiver or processor.
Why are you positive that a blu-ray player will not be able to decode Atmos, DTSX, and HDR, then send a analog signal out to amp like the Oppo units?

·
Registered
49 Posts
If we're leaving the topic of Dolby Atmos, let's take specific player questions to the player threads and leave this for Atmos.

Thanks.
Hi Teach
You moved a new thread I had started regarding any blu-ray players coming out that will spit out the new formats via 12 channel analogue to amp.
I don't think ill have my question answered in this thread

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Why are you positive that a blu-ray player will not be able to decode Atmos, DTSX, and HDR, then send a analog signal out to amp like the Oppo units?
I just don't see any Blu-Ray makers putting 11 or 12 analog outputs on their players. In fact, most Blu-Ray makers have dropped analog outs.

·
Super Moderator
16,665 Posts
yep. I believe you will need to bitstream. Current players will take the core lossless. I don't see any manufacturer mak I ng a player with that many.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Additionally, unless you were able to go directly to amps, you would need a receiver or pre/pro with that many analog inputs. I doubt there are or will be any? I don't think the new Atmos-capable receivers have analog ins.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thank you for the replies guys. I know I'm asking for you to predict the future, and you have given me your educated guesses. Much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts