AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new Panny TC-P50V10 plasma, and LG BD 390 Blu-ray player, and I have an Xbox 360 and a Wii.

My question is, when I buy an AVR for this set-up should I be using it to upscale any of these components or is it better just to hook them up directly? I'm assuming the Blu-ray should be connected directly to the TV but maybe not? This will be my first AVR with HDMI capabilities and I'm a bit confused despite all the reading I've been doing here on various HT Mag sites.

Appreciate any help you can give me.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craige17 /forum/post/17007429

Just bought a new Panny TC-P50V10 plasma, and LG BD 390 Blu-ray player, and I have an Xbox 360 and a Wii.

My question is, when I buy an AVR for this set-up should I be using it to upscale any of these components or is it better just to hook them up directly? I'm assuming the Blu-ray should be connected directly to the TV but maybe not? This will be my first AVR with HDMI capabilities and I'm a bit confused despite all the reading I've been doing here on various HT Mag sites.

Appreciate any help you can give me.

I will try to address your questions one at a time. Your player may do a good job of deinterlacing and/or scaling video, so don't worry about that too much.

I am not sure about your Wii. I would think it can output 480p over component, in which case, I would not touch the signal.

An AVR could simplify your switching by running all your components through the AVR. The usual procedure is to first get an AVR that can convert component video to HDMI because the Wii does not connect with HDMI.

You then connect your AVR to your TV with HDMI, and switch everything through the AVR. This also simplifies your 360 connection (if it does HDMI,) and your Blu-Ray connection.

You asked about connecting Blu-ray to your TV. You can do this. You would then connect optical to your receiver. This might work fine. But the usual method is to connect your BR player to your AVR with HDMI, and to use an AVR with HDMI audio. Some people prefer an AVR that can decode lossless Blu-ray audio. This also requires an HDMI connection from the player to the receiver.

The stickied AVR FAQ covers all of this in more detail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts