AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a receiver tomorrow and the only 2 at best buy (I just want to buy it locally, even if I bought online it would save me a few bucks) that tickle my fancy

The pioneer VSX-519V-K

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218065493841

and the

pioneer VSX-819H-K

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218065494188

From what I can tell the 819 has the auto speaker level calibration microphone (which is cool), an extra HDMI input (dont really need it, atleast not yet), iPhone features/plugins (dont really care for but its cool) and it has the truehd and dtshd (both of which I dont need, atleast not yet, since my ps3 does the hd sound decoding)

Its $100 more than the 519, should I fork it out? I dont need a lot of the features currently, will the HD decoders be necessary sometime in the future?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Hard to predict the future. TV should remain Dolby Digital for a long time. A future video game console might support lossless. You might decide to buy a Blu-ray player 3 years from now that did not have decoders (hopefully, any competent BR player will come will all decoders, but I can't say that for sure.)

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I don't think you'll need them in the forseeable future if ever. There will probably always be alternative sources, Players, Consoles etc with the decoders built in and even if that does change over time you'll probably want to upgrade the receiver by then anyway with the constant change in receiver features at a pricepoint.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
You don't need HD decoders in your receiver period. To start there is a negligible difference between the sound quality of plain old DD and the lossless codecs, especially with a receiver. On top of that, most if not all new receivers with HDMI inputs will accept the lossless codecs in PCM form via the HDMI connection from a Blu-Ray player that has built-in decoders. Save the $100 and use it to buy an extended warranty.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
imo, ignoring the codecs for a moment, auto mcacc is worth the 100 dollars alone... yea, it's not the advanced version that you get on the models further up the food chain, but it shouldn't suck either...

ymmv...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahh I was wondering what mcac stood for...

I really did want that but for the extra hundred bucks, it didnt really seem worth it imo. I ended up getting the 519
but with the extra money saved, I was able to buy the logitech harmony ps3 adapter which the cashier mistook for a router...

Also, I still ended up getting a $25 gift card which was a plus

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/16916419

Talk about throwing away money!

Couldn't Agree more. I bought the 37" HDTV in my bedroom with money saved on NOT buying extended warranties. I buy a lot of crap and within the last 5 years I have passed on $2000 worth of extended warranties. The only warranty I worried about that I did buy, was my DLP. The bulb was replaced for free and justified the warranty in the end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts