AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, i have a question, u have the onkyo sr606 and i had it for like 4 months already, i have definitive technology speakers which are , towers upfront etc.

Now, will i notice a difference in sound if i change my reciever to the denon 2809 for example? Is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Do you mean power wise? i believe the Denon may be rated a little higher at channel levels, but nothing I believe that would be noticeable. As far as a sound a certain receiver has, is up to the individual who is listening....any receiver can be set to sound "warm", "bright" etc....If you want more watts per channel I think you would have to move up to a Denon 3808ci to see a diffrence. Personally I would keep the Onkyo and look at seperates if you want more power, if the A/V has preouts for that.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
I don't think the 606 has preamp output jacks. The 706 does.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by browninggold /forum/post/15484880

Do you mean power wise? i believe the Denon may be rated a little higher at channel levels, but nothing I believe that would be noticeable. As far as a sound a certain receiver has, is up to the individual who is listening....any receiver can be set to sound "warm", "bright" etc....If you want more watts per channel I think you would have to move up to a Denon 3808ci to see a diffrence. Personally I would keep the Onkyo and look at seperates if you want more power, if the A/V has preouts for that.

Im talking About overall sound quality, not necesarily power. Denon and onkyo sound different right? So i should just keep the onkyo? There wont be much difference in sound?

Im talking clariness, crispiness.. I dont preouts cuz i dont use an external amp cuz i live in an apartment

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
In my opinion, only spend the money if you have insufficient power or need the features in the other receiver you are considering.

If you need more power, and the 606 has pre outs, you could add an external amplifier.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I looked at Denon and Pioneer...ended up going with a Denon 3808ci, it sounded better to me. You will have to go to a brick and morter store and compare receivers.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Comparing receivers at a store is a bit unreliable. For one thing, you don't know how they were set up. They are likely not driving your speakers.

With modern room correction systems, you won't know how well they work with your room.

Not saying not to do it, just pointing out some issues with comparisons at the store.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So for your responses its not going to be a day and night difference in sound qulity yea?

Just so i know, where can i get the denon 2809 the cheapest and for what price if possible? Amazon has it for $999 which is not so good of a price

·
Registered
392 Posts
From all that I have read on this forum, upgrading speakers would have more of an effect on sound than changing receivers.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I doubt you'll notice a difference. I believe both Onkyo and Denon use Audyssey so they'll EQ your room pretty much the same way.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruiz00tx /forum/post/15487236

From all that I have read on this forum, upgrading speakers would have more of an effect on sound than changing receivers.

That's correct. Speakers is where most of the time should be spent when one goes shopping.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli /forum/post/15487850

That's correct. Speakers is where most of the time should be spent when one goes shopping.

I already have high quality new definitive tech bipolar tower speakers and bipolar surrounds which i juat upgraded to 3 days ago, and i started thinking about the reciever, so theres no need to upgrade my SR 606? The sound wont get any better with a more expensive receiver?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Sounds like you are itching to spend money - that you want to be convinced to buy something. If you are rich, go ahead.

If not, save your money. The economy sucks

·
Registered
525 Posts
If you want better sound quality, get better room acoustics.

Right now the room is distorting the signal to your ears more than any other component in your listening chain.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli /forum/post/15487850

And money.

Why so many get the glitzy AVR and then cheap out on speakers is beyond me.

A (reasonably) cheap AVR with good speakers will kill the expensive AVR and cheap speakers every time in sound quality tests.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys, ill just keep my SR606 then, i dont know how i can improve my room, i had ran auddysey and it sounds good. I have a question to u guys, i KNOW this is upto me but i just want to know, do you guys use the TONE setting on your recievers? you know to add treble or bass.. if so what do u have it set to?

·
Registered
10,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/15494408

...do you guys use the TONE setting on your recievers? you know to add treble or bass.. if so what do u have it set to?

Flat, baby, flat. With good sounding speakers and a quality receiver, you shouldn't need to alter the sound. In some circles, I believe it's a sin to play with the tone controls.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts