AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're hoping to replace the 27" TV in our living room with a larger screen, but suitable wall space is limited to just one narrow-ish wall, which also happens to have a Daikin split system heating/AC unit mounted at around 6-1/2' high on it. If we could mount the TV so the bottom edge is about 42" high, we could fit a 43" TV there with an adjustable mount. If it has to go lower down, a 2-gang switch plate and a wall-mount t-stat take up part of the edge of the wall and the biggest available TV that would fit is a 32". (Note: Whichever way we go, we want to have a nice-looking cabinet with doors built for the TV and other AV components so we don't have to look at them all the time.) The trouble with the higher up mount option is that Daikin says you can have interference with a TV if you have it within 1 meter of the AC unit, and the TV would be well within that range.

Almost all of our TV viewing is streaming via WiFi. We also have a Blu Ray/DVD player, but very rarely use it. We don't have cable (though we could get TV service via our phone/DSL provider) and we don't have an antenna to pick up broadcast stations. Does anyone have any experience with this issue, and can you tell me whether interference from the AC unit is likely to be a problem when we're not using an antenna? My thinking here is that it would be the antenna that picked up the RF interference, but I really don't know if that's the case. Like maybe the antenna terminals on the TV or some other internal components could also pick up the interference? For what it's worth, we have a high-gain indoor FM radio antenna (connected to a tuner) that has been sitting only inches below the AC unit for years, and we have never noticed any interference on the stations we listen to.

Any thoughts? I'll try putting our little 27' flat screen up there and see if anything happens. I suppose I could go pick up the Samsung 43" TV I want and try it out there as well, but before I go to that effort, I'd love to get a better understanding of this interference issue.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a wall-mounted 85" Samsung TV, sitting just below my Daikin reverse-cycle AC, and I have never had any interference issues. I say, go for it. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts