AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to output 640x480 via the Radeon 9600 Pro using either ATI's or the DIY version of the Component Dongle to a 27" non-HD TV (for a MAME cabinet).

I've got a couple of questions hopefully someone here can give some insight on...

First - will the 9600 Pro (not AIW) & dongle work? ATI's site does not list the 9600 as being compatible, but most of the sell sheets and reviews do show it as supporting YPrPb output.

Second - Since 640x480 is above the resolution of most TV's (right?), can I even display that in the first place, or will I be forced to run at a lower, custom resolution? (I'm sure there's a really good FAQ for this - where?)

Third - I was leaning towards the Toshiba 27a42, since width and price are a factor (although they seem to have changed the width somewhere along the line). With 600 lines of horizontal resolution, will that work?

Much thanks in advance for any guidance on the above.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you're going to a non-hdtv set just use the tv-out and a svideo cable. The picture will look good at 640x480 on the TV... the 9600 pro will support higher than 640x480 on tv-out, and you might like it for desktop stuff, but mame won't benefit from the higher resolution.

I think the '600 lines of resolution' is just fancy speak for 'really good s-video input quality'.

To answer the question another way, yes the dvi to hdtv will work on a 9600, but do you have a hdtv to hook it up to?

There's another thread a little higher up (i'm too new to post the link, it griped at me when I tried) that talks about which dongle to which ati card.

cheers.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
on a non HDTV the dongle or DIY dongle will suck arse :)

Stick with s-video, use powerstrip to output to 720x576 to get a nice sized and easily accesible desktop and whatever you like for everything else :)

Trust me on this :) It's not worth the hassle of the overscan

BTW

MAME Can benefit from higher resolutions I play at 1280x960i on my hdtv set and it looks incredible! Especially vector graph (graf? spelling?) games! The lines are sharper and pop out more!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it's not even worth going for a component in screen? I was under the impression that component would always beat S-Video, even if the signal's not HD (sorta like how S-Video's always better than composite)...?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
the big problems you run in to are:

Overscan. Your on screen image will most likely b so severely overscanned it will be un tolerable. There are ways to try to counter this by using ATIs optimized 480p res of 640x432p but thats progressivescan not interlaced.

Resolutions. Resolutions? What resolutions? You will not get any other than 480i which doesnt come by default, you will have to use powerstrip to get it.

Flexibility. Without having more resolutions it will be extremely fustrating trying to do any thing :( . I'd Rather be able to install other gaemes on and run multiple resolutions so I could have a full arcade emulator :) . Run A coupple console emoulators like n64 and playstation... Run Need for speed Hot Pursuit 2 on it....that would be cool!

But then again thats what I do right now just not in an arcade cabinet form :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.