Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at the JVC home page.

Projectors fall under the pro banner.

Strange enough the pro projector site had a home theater section.

This is not so convincing. It must be the problem that d-ila is stuck at the pro division.

A consumer ht projector would be 16:9 and have a good built in video processor. The projectros setup would also be optimal for ht, kind of "Phelps" calibrated out of the box. Such a product would be attractive to people that do not exclusively watch dark movies.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
You should have made this a poll whereby anonymous voting could have been conducted. But, those of us with courage will easily open our noise-holes and say something. I say no, but I know nothing.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
It's no secret that JVC thinks the money they make being a pro product is enough. Higher margins less work.

They have actually worked against people that have tried to remain loyal to them and their product line. If it weren't for these people the D-ILA would have never even made it into homes. Unfortunately JVC has never recognized what a gold mine this market is and has left that booty on the table for others to take.

Maybe someday, but right now it's fairly obvious to most the ship needs to be turned 180 degrees.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's what I can add to the general debate re: JVC and their intended direction vis a vis residential theatre.

1. Although I can't speak to JVC's overall corporate priorities, I do know that they fully intend to continue to improve their projectors, specifically a select number of models, to appeal solely to residential applications. The fact that they have made real efforts with the SX21 and G150CL in terms of general color calibration is one indication. (Note I say "general" - it's difficult for a manufacturer the size of JVC, with a diverse multinational market, to unit-calibrate with the same attention to detail as William Phelps, as one example. (If they did, none of us would like the cost result.) We have to be realistic about this. It seems that the calibration accuracy of individual units out of the box falls short of JVC's stated goals, but we are still early in the production cycle of the SX21 and (maybe less so) G150, and may see improvements.

2. There are people internally at JVC who care passionately about the results obtainable with their units, however these may not be the people the average consumer encounters at a service counter or on the support "front lines". Unfortunately so, and this may indicate to JVC a need for specialized training of key support personnel.

3. We should not lose sight of the fact that the best D-ILA projectors are an excellent "toolkit" - their internal software allows for a significant degree of fine-tuning, not often available in the DLP engines. Personal tastes aside, we might bear in mind the economic reality that TRADITIONALLY a very high percentage of the world market is commercial / institutional, and that although the Home Theatre market is growing quickly, it is small potatoes compared to the larger market.

4. The G150CL in particular manages to avoid the occasionally "overcooked" chromaticity results of many LP's, and it has few peers in the marketplace in this regard.

5. I believe JVC keeps the SX21 and G150CL under the Professional banner simply because that's where their most technically sophisticated personnel live, and further, within JVC's corporate structure, those are the people with the training, background, exposure to broadcast criteria, etc. to deal with an inherently sophisticated technology. Sure, they could benefit from setting up a special division, but until they do, I suspect no frequent reader of this forum would enjoy trying to elicit knowledgeable insight from a tech support person who is trained on Theatre-in-a box. Maybe JVC Japan will look at this.

I don't wish to offend the large numbers of DLP fans out there, and I agree that many DLP projectors are more "usable" right out of the box, and also that they have greater strides in terms of deep blacks. I do believe however, in the context of the current marketplace, that the DILA technology has the potential to reach the higher standard with care in implementation (but we need to get those blacks up, JVC.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.