AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 1999 LCOS looked like it was going to finally be the answer to low cost high quality display technology. Where is it? and why three years later there is a pathetic 1.4 percent market share for a technology many have called the best and our future.

LCOS Leadership Needed

and the current

Market Report

Competent organization will beat technological superiority in warfare every time.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Very interesting reads, thanks for posting them!

Dan

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
lcos will survive, with out a doubt

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Tryg-

Those were excellent summaries of what we are all feeling out here "in the wild". I think that we all see the potential of where the technology could be, but the really deep pockets have not shown up to the party yet.

Anyway, thanks for the links!

Mark

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
He is probably an AKA

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Hunter
Tryg-

Those were excellent summaries of what we are all feeling out here "in the wild". I think that we all see the potential of where the technology could be, but the really deep pockets have not shown up to the party yet.
Yes, It's been somewhat frustrating. We D-ILA owners would like to root for our team but JVC doesn't reciprocate. I like this quote:

"Stanford also expects LCoS’s share to increase slightly from 1.4 percent in 2002 to 2.5 percent in 2003. However, Dash says LCoS still won’t gain much penetration in the overall market, because of a lack of manufacturers offering LCoS products."

Well the whole jist of that article was that DLP is taking over where LCD cant deliver. Will these companies sit around and just loose market share? Not likely, they will probably try to evolve toward LCOS. They are practically already set up to do it.

You say "the really deep pockets have not shown up to the party yet", well enter SONY. Sony has typically been LCD but we know they are now experimenting with LCOS. This powerhouse could change the landscape overnight if they made the commitment, and reached into those deep pockets.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Tryg,

Again, thanks for the excellent info.

How true regarding the fact that a competent organization can beat superior technology, we have seen it in the computer industry over and over. Dang those brilliant marketing people.

I can't wait to get a look at D-ILA this Friday.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
My prediction.

Sony has a lcos panel at 1920x1200.

Two products will be launched with these chips.

1. High end HT projector masked to 1920x1080

This one will be optimezed for contrast and black level.

2. Presentation/ simulation projector with lots of lumens.

This porjector will display 1600x1200 natively.

I agree that since Sony has not jumped the dlp train and that glv are years into the future for ht, they must have an alternative. I believe it is more likely that they go full hd with lcos than with lcd.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I have reread an article and the Sony lcos panel is 1920x1080 and nothing else. It is unlikely that Sony shows glv at CES, they are more likely to do this at a digital cinema event. So without glv what great projectors have they to show off. the 12ht? I am sure it will not be dlp so then it must be lcos. Sony introduced a very high resolution projector the 10ht several years ago so the time is ready to show the world how to do real HD.

This is my guess

lcos 1920x1080

with digital input: dvi

real 1000:1 contrast at 6500K

about 1000 ansi lumen

Price ?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2000 lumens and $6999.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts