AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite having a low nearby hill and many leafless trees in my LOS to my local HD market (28-30 miles to each tower), I borrowed an HDTV UHF+VHF combo antenna that a friend purchased at radio shack... nothing super special but with a 15db gain amp....and gave it a try.


To my stunned surprise I am picking up all my locals OTA in HD with a signal strength pegged on my TV's built in signal strength meter. The antenna is literally pointing directly at a big barn about 200 yards away (and that isnt quite at the peak of the topography)


question... given that I am defeating the hill and the solid structure in my LOS... are the leaves growing in on the nearby trees this spring going to end up killing me ? (its about 100 yards of thin woods between me and the structure I can see, beyond that it is rolling farmland. the trees begin at the back of my lot, 30 yards from the antenna)


I would say yes, but then I thought the hill was going to kill me to begin with.... now my hopes are beginning to rise.


thanks...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
If you are only 28-30 miles away from full power stations you should be in pretty good shape unless there are major obstructions between you and the towers. Try going to TVFool here:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Put in your exact address and fill in antenna height (say 30 feet for a rooftop antenna). Then check the NM column. Anything with a NM value > 10 or so you should be able to receive. At my location there is one station that is receivable most of the time during the winter but not in summer when the trees leaf out. The NM value for that station is about 5. Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballstitch /forum/post/15594367


Despite having a low nearby hill and many leafless trees in my LOS to my local HD market (28-30 miles to each tower), I borrowed an HDTV UHF+VHF combo antenna that a friend purchased at radio shack... nothing super special but with a 15db gain amp....and gave it a try.


To my stunned surprise I am picking up all my locals OTA in HD with a signal strength pegged on my TV's built in signal strength meter. The antenna is literally pointing directly at a big barn about 200 yards away (and that isnt quite at the peak of the topography)


question... given that I am defeating the hill and the solid structure in my LOS... are the leaves growing in on the nearby trees this spring going to end up killing me ? (its about 100 yards of thin woods between me and the structure I can see, beyond that it is rolling farmland. the trees begin at the back of my lot, 30 yards from the antenna)


I would say yes, but then I thought the hill was going to kill me to begin with.... now my hopes are beginning to rise.


thanks...

First we need more information to give you an informed answer. As with what we have I would say, maybe yes, maybe no.


Go to http://www.tvfool.com click on Start Here, and put in your exact address. Then click the circle that says digital post transition. Save that image and post it here. If nothing else give us your zip code but that is not as good as pasting an image of your exact location. Don't worry the output doesn't show your address, just your zip.


I can tell you I am not a fan of Radio Shack amps and antennas, and if nothing else you can buy MUCH better for the same price or often much less online than Radio Shack. There are a number of good online stores for antennas and accessories.


By having the TVFool data above we can be much more precise in an answer.


As far as trees. I can tell you that I cut down 2 trees right in my way (they were sick and had to come down). My signal jumped 10 points. I do have a tree line about 100 ft away in the next lot, but still 20 miles from stations I get full scale on UHF which is the worse problem with trees.


Go to TVFool. get you exact results, bring them back here and lets find you an antenna.


Piggie :mad:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the quick reply.. I'm in good shape with those numbers. Antennaweb is much more pessimistic and why I thought I was in trouble. well, that plus the hill... and the structure.


I had heard that a blockage of nearby leafy trees was pretty much doom and gloom unless you get over them, which I can't. (and I am testing at ground level right now)


tvfool numbers for the 4 concerned stations:


NM pwr path

47.3 -43.5 LOS

33.6 -57.3 2Edge

29.4 -62.4 2Edge

16.9 -73.9 2Edge
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
Leaves definitely will block signal and many a person has put up an antenna in winter thinking he had a successful install only to find out otherwise when the trees leaf out. At 28-30 miles out I would recommend a rooftop install for best results. Sometimes preamps can make things worse rather than better depending on your signal levels and noisiness of the preamp so it may make sense to try it with and without the preamp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
everything is in the same direction, lucky for me. sorry for not posting that.


I suppose, if you all have a cheapo recommendation in the $50 range I would go for it, do an easier low mount for now.


then test it higher if I lose strength when the leaves grow in, and if I get totally burned by the leaves... well, that's the way it goes. it wasn't a huge investment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
One important thing is whether the stations are UHF or VHF and if VHF, whether they are VHF high band or VHF low band.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
At the moment all of your realistically receivable stations are UHF which means you can go with a UHF only antenna. The other thing you want to check is go back to TVFool and click on the little circle for digital stations post transition, then see if any of your stations are moving to VHF. If they are, then you would probably want a combo antenna or separate UHF and VHF antennas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by otaguy /forum/post/15596139


At the moment all of your realistically receivable stations are UHF which means you can go with a UHF only antenna. The other thing you want to check is go back to TVFool and click on the little circle for digital stations post transition, then see if any of your stations are moving to VHF. If they are, then you would probably want a combo antenna or separate UHF and VHF antennas.

Unless he changed the radar jpeg, it says Post Transition on it. There are not VHF's in the green at the 300 degree heading.


It's so hard to say what summer will bring with the leaves. Just based on TVFool, he could put up a
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103088

The only antenna they sell worth buying.


I would also guess since he is looking through a barn, the levels are actually lower so to be sure you did all you can do the Antennas Direct 91XG, which may not need a preamp.


Also if the barn kills 10db like an attic, it would put him in the range of using a good preamp if needed like the Channel Master CM7777.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie /forum/post/15603573


Unless he changed the radar jpeg, it says Post Transition on it. There are not VHF's in the green at the 300 degree heading.


It's so hard to say what summer will bring with the leaves. Just based on TVFool, he could put up a
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103088

The only antenna they sell worth buying.


I would also guess since he is looking through a barn, the levels are actually lower so to be sure you did all you can do the Antennas Direct 91XG, which may not need a preamp.


Also if the barn kills 10db like an attic, it would put him in the range of using a good preamp if needed like the Channel Master CM7777.

That looks like a good antenna recommendation IMO. I would do a rooftop install. I personally haven't had good success with preamps - I would try without first given that he is having success from the ground. The CM7777 may be overkill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie /forum/post/15603573


It's so hard to say what summer will bring with the leaves.

Using a 91-XG, I can't tell any difference between Summer & Winter reception with my 24/7 stations.(No complaints) Only windy days still make a difference with unstable signal strengths.


Could the leaf issue be more antenna specific than anything else? (Bowtie vs Yagi)


Thanks!!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
18,834 Posts
Please keep topic titles as specific as possible for archiving purposes. See my edit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the linked radioshack antenna is the one I was testing with. So it sounds like a plan might be to go with that (the price is right) and see how things change when the leaves grow in, possibly upgrading to the 91-XG if my reception drops to marginal at that point.


I appreciate all the help!
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,722 Posts

Quote:
Will leaves in the spring affect OTA?

They definitely could, but until the trees fill in, you won't know for sure.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top