AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a sony rear projection hdtv, 50", 720p/1080i. It's a good tv but I've always disliked how it performs in darker scenes and just the brightness in general. Movies that have a lot of dark scenes and fog, and like I said even regular scenes are just not bright enough.

When I bought the TV it was because I could not afford a several thousand dollar plasma. Now I can afford on the lower end of any of the technologies (I think.)

If I buy a "low end," "no name," brands like, and sorry if this offends anyone, just the way I have always thought of them, Dynex, Element, Sanyo, Westinghouse, probably others....if I buy one of these will I be pleased with them over my current tv? Is low end plasma or lcd better than my rear projection..especially in brightness and detail? I am saying that for the moment I cannot spend a little more and get the panasonic.

Thank you.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$700 - $800

Maybe I should wait? I want at least 50". I sit 15 feet away but the video game players - who play a lot - sit a lot closer.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The 50" 720p Panasonic TC-P50C2 is available from BestBuy, 6ave.com, and Amazon.com all for under your stated budget. Who knows, with Black Friday and holiday sales right around the corner, you may be able to find a deal on a 50" Panasonic 1080p model within your budget.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Woah you don't have to get a low end brand for 800. You can get a beautiful 50 inch plasma for 800.

Your options are:

LG: 50pk550 great overall tv very highly adjustable picture options can dial in an almost perfect calibration probably the highest blacks of all 3 plasma companies and is the most reflective and does not hold it contrast well in bright rooms. Light control is a must for this tv.

Panasonic: tc-p50s2 another good choice. Panasonics are considered the most reliable tv's. Some say the picture can be grainy on this one others say its amazing. If your wallet could handle it the tc-p50g25 can be had for slightly over your budget and it has some of the deepest blacks highest contrast ratio great THX picture mode. If you can afford it the tc-p50g25 will have you pretty happy. Yeah the blacks rise a bit and if this turns you off i don't blame you it's the reason i wont get panasonic.

Samsung: This is my favorite brand currently. They allow you to play 1080p video files off a hard drive or flash drive connected via USB. Samsungs also have the best SDTV processing. The blacks are the 2nd best of the 2010 plasmas. The pn50c550 can be had for your price range. You can turn it into a c590 in the service menu which opens up more control options. Though I highly suggest the pn50c6500 for a few hundred over. It has tons of apps, better processing, deeper blacks, super thin and light (1.4" at its thickest part and 54 pounds) and you can turn it into a c8000 in the service menu and open up more options for free.

At your budget and size requirement plasma is the only option. LCD's of that size will cost more and not look nearly as good. You definitely want plasma.

And marty he can get the 1080p S2 version for 800 easily on many sites. No reason to downgrade to the 720p especially if people playing video games will be sitting very close to the screen. They will need the higher pixel density if they are sitting close.

Do not get a 720p set!! You can easily find 1080p 50 inch plasmas for 800 and you will need this if people are gonna play video games close to the screen. They will notice a big time screen door effect on a 720p 50" at very close viewing distances.

·
Registered
397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laststop311 /forum/post/19525951

And marty he can get the 1080p S2 version for 800 easily on many sites.

I wasn't trying to do a thorough price search for the guy, my intent was simply to point out that a Panasonic 50" plasma can be had within his budget from several reputable dealers. While doing the basic search, I noticed that the 1080p models seemed to be just beyond the stated budget so that's why I added the note about the 1080p models. And I have no doubt that the S2 can be had for $800 on several sites but I don't feel comfortable recommending those sites if they aren't authorized dealers and/or well-establsihed (i.e. Bestbuy, Newegg, Amazon 1st party, Sears, 6ave, etc). If he purchases from an unauthorized dealer simply to save a few bucks and has issue later on, that could cause complications with the warranty, etc.

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,012 Posts
Yeah dude. For $800 you can get a pretty good plasma, or a mid-range LCD from Sony/Samsung/LG. No need to go slumming with that amount of cash!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
we have a Panasonic 50X1 720p plasma (last years model)

it replaced a Phillips 46" 1080i CRT RPTV and blows it out of the water on pretty much everything from our viewing distance of 10'

its also worth noting that at your seating distance no TV in your price range is big enough to see the difference between 720p and 1080p.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.