AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to say I've been reading through the FAQ's and forums and I'm quite overwhelmed after reading about the chroma bug, DVD-A specs, etc.

Basically, I'm in the middle of a new receiver purchase (going with the Denon 3803) and I'm looking for a new DVD player that take advantage of the receiver's features (Dolby Digital EX, DTS 6.1, DTS 96/24, etc). Is this something that I should be specifically looking for in a DVD player, or will most of them perform this? I'm assuming all the info goes out the digital output, then my receiver will take care of the rest?

As long as it has DVD-A and SACD capability, it should do everything else right?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
If a player does DTS and DD, which almost every player does nowadays then it also does DD ex and DTS es... like you said, the receiver does the rest.

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
Yup, if the DVD player has a Dolby Digital (all do) and DTS Digital Out logo, then it will send all DD and DTS bitstreams to a processor. It doesn't see DD EX or DTS-ES flags, just the raw data of each format and sends it on its merry way.

The processor in the receiver or pre-amp then is the deciding factor on whether or not you get DD EX and DTS-ES decoding. Also, for DTS-ES encoded discs, you need a receiver or pre-amp with both DTS-ES matrix and DTS-ES discrete capabilities (two very different animals).

Dan

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers.

Regarding DVD Audio, is that sent through the bitstream also, or does it go out through a 6-channel output in the back? My receiver has a 6 channel input, but I don't want to use it if I don't have to.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Yo Momma
Regarding DVD Audio, is that sent through the bitstream also, or does it go out through a 6-channel output in the back? My receiver has a 6 channel input, but I don't want to use it if I don't have to.
You will have to use the multichannel analog output for DVD-Audio.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
MD,

Not always true.

There are (pricey) solutions from

Denon: (DV-9000 ---> 5803) [about $8000]

Meridian: (598 or 800 --> 568.2 or 800) [$13000+ to $30000]

Muse: (Erato --> MAP) [about $14000]

Pioneer: (DV-47ai ---> RV-49TXi) [about $6000]

MSB: (Their mod to your player ---> Multiple Link DACs) ($3000 and up)

None of these are mass market priced, but the first steps towards a digital interface are already taken.

Regards,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.