AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have had an issue with my audio popping every time I played and stopped a video. This became very annoying and sometimes loud, so I switched over to digital audio and I am now going S/PDIF over co-ax from my player to an Extron SSP7.1 to my speakers.

For the most part, this handled the pops at the beginning and end of my videos. Now I get a barely audible pop from my sub when I pause the video, and jump to another section and start playing from there. I thought that the change to digital and the use of a decoder would handle all of the pops but it hasn't.

I have searched and searched for a possible cause for this problem and have not found anything. I really do want to get rid of all pops, it's driving me nuts.

Any advice? If you need any more data, I can provide everything from equipment to audio formats and sample rates.

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
Pausing an audio/video source certainly should not cause any pops at all under any circumstances. I suspect something is broken in your Extron SSP. It's the responsibility of the processor to correctly handle startup and shudown of the output audio when the input digital audio stream drops out. Contact Extron about getting it repaired or replaced.

However, you don't mention what amps you're using to drive the speakers. I've seen at least one report where someone replaced the amp and it fixed their pops, but those might have been associated with power-on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding.

I am using DigiDesign RM1 speakers (powered) and a Sunfire HRS8 sub, so I am not using any amp. The popping is only audible in the sub and it does not happen too frequently.

If the SSP is supposed to handle any and all of those sort of things, then i guess it is faulty. I'll contact Extron and have them sort this out.

Time to make this their problem....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts