AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the Onkyo TXSR503 Surround Sound receiver to replace my Kenwood all-in-one system. For the moment, I intend to use my kenwood speakers. The Kenwood receiver put out 80 watts/channel while my new receiver is a high current receiver putting out 75 watts/channel. I found out something disturbing to me though. On the back of my speakers, it says the speaker's maximum input is 50W.

I don't blast my speakers to their maximum...at most, I put my receiver up 3/4 the way up in volume. But considering that there's a possible 25 Watt difference between the speaker handling, will I blow the current speakers I have?

I intend to get either a polk or infinity surround sound speaker set, but for now, my kenwoods are going to have to do.

Also, I have a chance (thanks to working at an electronics store) to return the Onkyo 503 and get the Onkyo 603 putting out 90W/channel. It's a better receiver for the same price as the 503. Do I increase my chances of blowing the kenwood speakers by getting an even higher output receiver. Any and all suggestions/answers are welcome. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Don't clip your amp and you probably won't blow the speakers. Prior to blowing, you'll hear some distress (distortion). Lower the volume and you'll be ok. What do you do at this electronics store? Hopefully not advising customers on system compatibility.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
For the record - you are probably better off with an amp that can put out MORE than 50 W than an amp that puts out LESS than 50 W. Speakers are blown by too little power - not too much power (and I'm not pulling you leg). And it sounds like you want to go for the 603 - do it - it will not be a problem.

Ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you for replying. I pre-ordered the 603 through my store (where I work in home audio).

Anyways, it sounds like my kenwood's would be okay as temporary speakers until I upgrade just as long as I don't push the amp to the point of clipping. Actually, I think the 603 has the ability to adjust/set a maximum volume. I know the 602 does. So if I can set it at somewhere that doesn't hurt the sound or distort and isn't too loud then I should be fine.

Thanks again for replying.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.