AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to play a DVD from region 3 or other regions on my HTPC with a new Toshiba DVD Drive.

Can I do that? The reason that I want to know is because one of my wife's and my favorite movies "Shining Through" is not available on DVD in our region. I see it available from time to time on Ebay in region 3.

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
Paul,

Without knowing exactly which model DVD drive you have, which operating system you're running and which DVD player software you're using, it'll be hard for anyone to answer for sure.

Most computer DVD drives will allow you to change the region 5 times. Check in the hardware properties menu of the DVD drive. Without knowing which operating system you're running, it's hard to give explicit instructions about how to find that menu. Under Widows XP, there's a tab labelled "DVD Region", for example.

If you're going to watch a lot of movies from two different regions, probably the easiest way to handle it is to get a second drive.

I know some of the early Pioneer DVD drives could be made region independent, but I don't recall the details. I think they had a jumper. Naturally, the studios didn't like that very much at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.