AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm sure I am not the only one wondering this although I am not going to hold my breath. Curious as to why they pulled the plug after the HT1100. Seems NEC builds and has built great projectors but only business class now.

I like many others have enjoyed my HT1100 over the last 4 years but my lamp is down to 700 hours left and I am agonizing over my next choice of projectors.

Touch wood, I have had 4 years of flawless operation out of my trusted ol HT1100. I know I can get a better picture with a new projector but the HT1100 still does a great job with DVD's and a decent job even with Blu Ray (what you don't know won't hurt you!!). I can only assume that it has a very good scaler in it to display such a good image out of my Panny BD 55.

However, I like others did not notice a huge jump with Blu Ray on my NEC so I can only assume it is because of the lower resolution.

Unfortunately it does not display 1080P (only1080i) so I get a better picture with the Panny set to output 720P. It's native resolution is only 1024 X 768 plus it is a 4X3 chip. I can only imagine what the upgrade to a 1080P would achieve.

I read these forums religiously and to tell you the truth, I'm reluctant to pull the trigger on an LCD with some of the limitations that I read about ie: convergence, dust blobs, not as a dynamic a picture as DLP etc. However, with my current setup, an LCD would be a better choice since I currently have to tilt my HT1100 upwards slightly (ceiling mounted 11' back for a 92" picture) and apply keystone to square eveything up.

Would love to get a JVC (seems like the best of both worlds) but cannot afford one so the Epson 6500UB/Panny 3000 seems like the next best choice.

Would be great to see an announcement from NEC getting back in the game. With Optoma announcing their new model, hopefully we will see more DLP options(pretty slim pickins lately)

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
JVC NZ8, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 7.2.4 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,390 Posts
I had the HT1000 for a while (actually still have it for emergency backup). It was a great PJ based on a price/performance sweet spot. Sure there were a few better PJs out, but at a lot more money. NEC did a great job with their entry into HT projectors. Their customer service was fantastic too. However, I can understand why they got out of the HT business just as quickly. I'm guessing that the market was too competitive compared to the profits after R&D, marketing, etc.

Sony came along and broke through the floor with their LCOS pricing, so there's certainly less profit now then ever. Add in the economic situation and I seriously doubt NEC will get back in the HT front projector game. I'm surprised we haven't seen more defections...

·
Registered
959 Posts
I still have my HT1000 and was using it to watch sports events by projecting on a white wall in a room other than my theater, but my son wants to buy it so I'm going to let it go. It was replaced with a BenQ 1080p projector in my theater and after watching even upconverted dvds, let alone Blu-ray, it's hard to go back to the NEC. But if they ever got back in the HT game, I'd probably be right there. NEC know how to build a projector.

·
Registered
26 Posts
All things considered, the HT1100 was and still is a great projector. Excellent scaling and image quality. I still have mine boxed up and am contemplating selling it to make room. I ran mine for a majority of its life without the anamorphic lens and once I installed it, the image quality jumped up a few notches. HD looked unreal from both SAT and Blu-Ray. I actually have two of these lenses (dont ask why) and only wish I would have used this from the beginning as it took a great projector and made it excel. I was always impressed with the image quality of this unit and also wondered why NEC pulled out after producing such an excellent entry into the HT world.

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw /forum/post/15580764

Sony came along and broke through the floor with their LCOS pricing, so there's certainly less profit now then ever. Add in the economic situation and I seriously doubt NEC will get back in the HT front projector game. I'm surprised we haven't seen more defections...

I have no idea what to expect from NEC, but I do think that before this recession is over with, that we'll see some major changes and consolidation among companies. Just a guess though.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Hey, NEC is a brand you don't hear about much on AVS anymore. As embarrassed as I am to admit it, I still have a trusty NEC LT100 XGA DLP projector from mid-1999, complete with custom gamma tables etc., from back in the days when people were buying business DLP projectors, reverse-engineering them, modifying them with paint and filters, etc. People back then were even concerned about how laserdiscs looked on their projectors...

I've been meaning to upgrade for years, but family expansion activities inevitably put home theater on the back burner for a while. Now that the kids are old enough to enjoy movies, it's time to wake up from the coma, especially with so many excellent 1080p DLPs on the market for about 2/3 the original cost of the LT100 (really even less, if you adjust for inflation...). The NEC is already packed up. Hopefully I can interest someone who needs to give Powerpoint presentations (the intended purpose of this model) and scrape up some funds toward a BD player.

The Benq W20000 and W5000 look pretty solid, and I'm keeping an eye on the Optoma HD8200 and HD808, too. I've heard great things about the Samsung SP-A800B and upcoming 900-series, but it's hard to justify paying 2-3x the cost of competing models with similar specs.

I never had any problems with the NEC over close to ten years and would definitely consider another NEC if they were to re-enter the arena.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
NEC has always been more of a commercial company than home-type company (even with their flat panels). I would doubt we will see them re-enter, but then Sharp is doing it so I suppose anything is possible!

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
When they had the HT1000, they were one of the most popular projectors on the forum. Everyone was waiting for their 16x9 projector and I am not sure if they ever did. In any case, they most of sold tons of the HT1000 so I am not sure sure why they didnt continue. I would imagine they had a niche market with the HT1000 as it wasnt your normal chip and I think they were getting it well priced from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
21,363 Posts
I loved my HT1000 so much, I swore I'd never give it up, and be buried with it when I died. The ex wife got it
. Maybe she'll be buried with it .........

Too bad NEC hasn't built more home theater projectors!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts