AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older (1992) Mitsubishi 35" that can be repaired for about $250. But is it worth it? I have not been following the news about the dropping of analog signals (OTA) after HD becomes the standard.

When is it expected that analog signals will stop being transmitted?

Does that mean analog TVs are useless? Will there be black boxes and how definite are these black boxes? Cost of black boxes?

Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think the latest date for analog signals to stop is 2008, I am not sure. But you will be able to buy a set top box that will convert digital signals to analog for old sets for around $50.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
I have an older (1992) Mitsubishi 35" that can be repaired for about $250. But is it worth it? I have not been following the news about the dropping of analog signals (OTA) after HD becomes the standard.

When is it expected that analog signals will stop being transmitted?

Does that mean analog TVs are useless? Will there be black boxes and how definite are these black boxes? Cost of black boxes?
HD will not be the new standard when analog signals stop being transmitted. Analog is being replaced by Digital and everything that is now SD will still be SD, only digital instead of analog. HD on the broadcast channels will remain pretty much the same as they already are. It's not like everything is suddenly going to be in HD when they turn off analog.

The original cutoff date was the end of 2006 but there's talk of extending it. I haven't been paying attention lately since i have cable and the digital transition doesn't affect me.

There will be tons of cheap converter boxes hitting the market before analog gets shut off. There's even talk of government subsidizing these boxes for poor folks who tend to rely on OTA since they can't afford cable or satellite.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I guess I will go ahead and have it repaired.
I hope you upgrade to HD by then..

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Even if you can get a cheap digital to analog box in a couple years - $250 is a lot to spend repairing a 15 year old NTSC tuner direct view, even a 35 inch one.

I know even though my projector is working great I will be leary of replacing the bulb ($400) versus upgrading to a better projector by using some of those $

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphArch
Even if you can get a cheap digital to analog box in a couple years - $250 is a lot to spend repairing a 15 year old NTSC tuner direct view, even a 35 inch one.
Ah but a 35" Mitsubishi is an excellent analog set and would hold someone over nicely for a few years or more till OTA goes digital. And once it does the Mitsu's picture quality will undoubtedly improve quite a bit with the cleaner digital signal, especially if the set has component or colorstream inputs or at least S-Video.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When the Mitsu began to act up. I found and bought a Sony 36" HD ready CRT (KV-HS420) for $798 at Frys. At this time I can't afford an equivalent size screen in plasma. Prior to buying the Sony, I called a few repair shops and they quoted me up to $95 service call and one shop said $395 to diagnose plus parts. Another shop said he couldn't give me any rough estimate from my description until they actually look at it. I figure why spend $400 to who knows what to repair an old TV so I bought the Sony.

Just the other day, my uncle was in an electronics repair shop for something else and he asked about my Mitsu. The guy said my problem was a common problem (the TV turns itself off immediately after being turned on -- capacitors). The cost would be $49 to pick it up/return and $189 to repair it. So I figure I could put it in my bedroom, which is large, and replace the tiny 19" there. If I had talked to this shop first, I would have not purchased the Sony.

For about $250, I can't find a new model large screen.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
If I had talked to this shop first, I would have not purchased the Sony.
You can return it back to Frys if you want for a full refund. I believe the return policy is within 30 days of your purchase.

Your old Mitsubishi TV is one of the best-built TVs out there. Usually the old TVs are worth repairing. New TVs don't last as long as the older ones.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can't return it now. The box, styrofoam, wrapping are gone. Plus I bought the Sony stand (display model) at Circuit City. Besides, the Sony is pretty nice. Now I'm waiting to get a HD tuner, maybe a LG-LST 4200A or newer on sale.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.