Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive if this is a little off-topic, but:

For reasons too lengthy to explain (primarily involving an inadequate number of analog source connections on my TV monitor and A/V receiver), it has been suggested to me that I run the analog composite video signal from our DirecTIVO into the composite input on our VCR and back out again through the composite out connection of the VCR into our receiver or TV monitor.

Will running the video signal through the VCR in this manner degrade its quality?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I think you are just going to have to try it and see how you like it. Adding extra connections between the DVR and the TV will theoretically add noise. Some of the results may depend on how well your TV handles composite (like a good 3D comb filter) and how big the display is (big means you see more warts). NTSC can be pretty bad even when we don't run it through a DVR. :p

I have Comcast/AT&T NTSC digital cable coming out of the wall and it connects by RF Coax to the Motorola STB. The STB connects to the ReplayTV 3060 DVR by composite. The ReplayTV connects to my Sony 34xbr800 TV by S video. Buying good analog video cables helped my picture quality and I am such a DVR addict that I bought really nice composite and S video cables from www.bettercables.com although there are less expensive options like Pacific Cables and others.

Good luck. :)

Rick

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.