AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive the cross-posting, but I couldn't figure out which forum was most appropriate for this question:

For reasons too lengthy to explain (primarily involving an inadequate number of analog source connections on my TV monitor and A/V receiver), it has been suggested to me that I run the analog composite video signal from our DirecTIVO into the composite input on our VCR and back out again through the composite out connection of the VCR into our A/V receiver or TV monitor.

Will running the video signal through the VCR in this manner degrade its quality?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Yes, there will invariably be some loss in resolution this way, but you worsen it by running it through the receiver. The fewer in/outs the better. I would run the VCR video output straight into the TV, and just route the audio to the receiver. You can buy a composite signal splitter at Radio Shack and split the satellite output to the VCR and the TV. That may or may not give better results - if not return the RS splitter. I am assuming you have more than one input on the TV. Splitting the signal before the VCR should give you a better picture on live TV.

Dsmith

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Dsmith. I only have one composite input on the TV, which is part of the original problem, so splitting the DirecTV before the VCR doesn't seem like it will work. However, I appreciate the suggestion not to run the video signal through both the VCR and the receiver, which I think I can avoid, in order not to weaken it even further. I can just let the TV do the switching between the composite and component video inputs.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
Yes, there will invariably be some loss in resolution this way...
I do not think so. If it is composite video, do not worry about further loss of picture quality (the signal bandwidth is already very low). I bet you cannot detect any visible changes in the image, with or without passing it through the VCR.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sushi
I do not think so. If it is composite video, do not worry about further loss of picture quality (the signal bandwidth is already very low). I bet you cannot detect any visible changes in the image, with or without passing it through the VCR.
You may be right and only actual testing will tell. But I can see picture degradation in my system even using S-video connections through my VCRs. The signal is going through the VCR tuner, which is often not as good as the TV tuner. Some VCRs are better than others of course, and some TVs will display a signal loss better than others. My advice is based on general principles which will apply more often than not. But in this instance it may or may not. Bottom line is he needs to try and see for himself.

Dsmith

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
If the source is composite video, then U shouldn't see any significant difference. If the source was RF and going through the VCR tuner then U will see some degradation. But composite video is usually about 250 lines and 50dB S/N so its quality is only average by today's higher standards as compared to the component video output from a quality DVD player.. :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.