AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chris Walker:

I was one of the early adopters of the flagship SC-09 in 2008.

I got rid of it, now I have no receiver to toy with.

Out of curiosity, are we going to have an elite separates similar to the Yamaha CA 5000?.

I have another question:

Is Pioneer going to fill the void created by Sony when it comes to Blu ray disc (mega Changers)?.

It is known that streaming is not going to be for everybody, and that lots of people still like the shinning discs including me.

I have owned a couple of Pioneer CD and DVD changers in the past in addition to the Kenwood and Sony's last model BDP CX7000 ES.

Can you convince the engineers and marketing analysts in Japan that they already have templates or blueprints of the old dvd and cds changers, all it needs is a redesign , improve the turntable and increase the media capacity.

Any hope for this and separates,- amp/prepro or SC-09 replacement?

Thanks.

George.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I'd be guessing but I doubt any of the things you mention are on Pioneer's plate. The CD is nearly dead. Folks like you are in a tiny minority, probably tiny enough to make a CD changer not be feasible financially. Blu-Ray is still quite popular but would only need changing every hour and a half or so. I don't think a movie changer is important to most people. The market for separates is also tiny. You see a lot about them in this forum because this forum is populated by enthusiasts. Most people don't care and, again, it is probably too small a market for them. The SC09 wasn't a good seller for them. Great produce for its time but quite specialized in appeal. I doubt that is in the cards either.

Pioneer addresses a mass market target customer. They do it well, I should add, and I'm a big Pioneer fan myself, (VSX-92, VSX 522 and A30.) You are likely to see their product line shrink rather than expand as the AV market matures. I could be wrong about all of this of course. The one thing I think you can continue to expect from Pioneer is better value than with some of the other brands. The new $600 list priced VSX 1124 with HDMI 2, Sub EQ and internet radio is a great example of that. The Pioneers have always performed really well within their price categories. They have worked well for me for a long time.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1522605/will-pioneer-come-out-with-elite-separates-for-2014#post_24485190

I'd be guessing but I doubt any of the things you mention are on Pioneer's plate. The CD is nearly dead. Folks like you are in a tiny minority, probably tiny enough to make a CD changer not be feasible financially. Blu-Ray is still quite popular but would only need changing every hour and a half or so. I don't think a movie changer is important to most people. The market for separates is also tiny. You see a lot about them in this forum because this forum is populated by enthusiasts. Most people don't care and, again, it is probably too small a market for them. The SC09 wasn't a good seller for them. Great produce for its time but quite specialized in appeal. I doubt that is in the cards either.

Pioneer addresses a mass market target customer. They do it well, I should add, and I'm a big Pioneer fan myself, (VSX-92, VSX 522 and A30.) You are likely to see their product line shrink rather than expand as the AV market matures. I could be wrong about all of this of course. The one thing I think you can continue to expect from Pioneer is better value than with some of the other brands. The new $600 list priced VSX 1124 with HDMI 2, Sub EQ and internet radio is a great example of that. The Pioneers have always performed really well within their price categories. They have worked well for me for a long time.

The CD is not nearly dead.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/digital-and-mobile/5901188/cd-album-sales-fall-behind-album-downloads-is-2014-the

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
hahaha. CD has plenty of life on it.

CD changers? Not really, since once you start looking into it, you may as well use a music streamer.

Also when people do look into seperates, Pioneer woud not be on a short list (nor would Sony)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

I think that mega-changers are dying out, because people who want everything all loaded up all the time are better served by putting it all on a hard drive instead of using the physical discs.  It takes up less space, and is potentially more reliable, and is easier to have a backup, and can potentially hold more music or movies, and makes less mechanical noise, when you put in on a hard drive instead of a mega-changer.

If you wanted a 5 disc carousel CD changer, those are still being made, and likely will continue to be made, for a while.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
You know when CD is dead when it is no longer on the shelves at Walmart and Target so far that has not happened.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech  /t/1522605/will-pioneer-come-out-with-elite-separates-for-2014#post_24487993

You know when CD is dead when it is no longer on the shelves at Walmart and Target so far that has not happened.

When you no longer see them on Amazon, then they will be dead. The selection at Target is limited and declining.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1522605/will-pioneer-come-out-with-elite-separates-for-2014/0_100#post_24488881

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech  /t/1522605/will-pioneer-come-out-with-elite-separates-for-2014#post_24487993

When you no longer see them on Amazon, then they will be dead. The selection at Target is limited and declining.

I think Amazon will still sell them 30 years from now.  I never buy digital downloads, and never will.  I am certain that I am not alone on this.  In my case, I already have a couple of thousand CDs, so if I am wrong, I will still have quite a lot to which I can listen for the rest of my life.  But I do not think I am wrong, and expect to be able to buy CDs from Amazon in 30 years (assuming I am still alive).

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1522605/will-pioneer-come-out-with-elite-separates-for-2014#post_24489751

I think Amazon will still sell them 30 years from now.  I never buy digital downloads, and never will.  I am certain that I am not alone on this.  In my case, I already have a couple of thousand CDs, so if I am wrong, I will still have quite a lot to which I can listen for the rest of my life.  But I do not think I am wrong, and expect to be able to buy CDs from Amazon in 30 years (assuming I am still alive).

I don't buy digital downloads either but I still believe CD's are on the way out.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
The problem with CD's is their cost when a few dollars more will buy you concert footage on Blue-Ray for certain artists .

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech  /t/1522605/will-pioneer-come-out-with-elite-separates-for-2014/0_100#post_24491281

The problem with CD's is their cost when a few dollars more will buy you concert footage on Blue-Ray for certain artists .

So, you want to watch some ugly SOB create the music, and pay extra for seeing his ugly mug?

·
Registered
7,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1522605/will-pioneer-come-out-with-elite-separates-for-2014#post_24491674

So, you want to watch some ugly SOB create the music, and pay extra for seeing his ugly mug?
I think Sheryl Crow Live on BR sounds great and she is very easy on the eye you may have another opinion.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1522605/will-pioneer-come-out-with-elite-separates-for-2014#post_24491227

I don't buy records. I buy CD's and usually from Amazon. Are you making some sort of point or are you simply blathiering.

I don't care what you buy. What is your point, because you don't buy CD's they're dead?

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1522605/will-pioneer-come-out-with-elite-separates-for-2014#post_24492405

I don't care what you buy. What is your point, because you don't buy CD's they're dead?

I said I do buy CD's. You must have gotten out of bed on the wrong side today.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
^^

+1

and on that note, George, you & I had a PM exchange on SC-09 back in Jan, IIRC
I told you what I thought about the timing of announcing new models and looks like I was correct, so far anyway

to replace the SC-09 you will want the top Elite model, SC-89 I believe Chris posted, which will have some enhancements in MCACC over & above what Pioneer has announced for the new standard Pioneer lineup.

if you can't wait and need something to tide you over, this year's SC-77 (or 79) might do or look for last year's SC-68/67.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Greetings:

The wait is killing me. I will try pick up a low or mid level SC-?? for 2014 model, then later go for any flagship.

I am getting rid of all my appliances with HDMI 1.4 or so. If I can find a buyer for my Mitsubishi WD-92840 (2011), and my Sony Bravia 55 inch, I will get rid of them.

I want to start afresh..

Thanks for the update.

George.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts