AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will this receiver be able to handle my center channel okay?

Whatmough magnum m05

* Configuration: 2-Way Bass Reflex

* Recommended Power: 40-100 Watts

* Nominal Impedence: 4 Ohms

* Sensitivity: 91dB

* Frequency Response: 70-20KHz

Room is 20"x20" and its a townhome with shared walls so I never really blast it for the sake of my neighbors.

Only using Front speakers for now...

It's in an open air metal tv stand with total ventilation to the receiver.

If it is safe should I be setting to 8 ohm small speaker? Im a n00b and didnt look over the specs of the speaker before I purchased it
The 6 ohm setting just lowers the rail voltage which limits power and decreases the headroom on transients. The transient power needed with most movies/music is something like 10x the average power and it's the average power that makes the amp overheat so the 6 ohm setting doesn't really prevent overheating, it just clips the transients correct?

Ive read yes, ive read no. Ive read if you dont turn it up too high....

Please help before fiancee makes me return everything for a theater in a [email protected][email protected]#%

·
Registered
3,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylite /forum/post/20894500

Will this receiver be able to handle my center channel okay?

Whatmough magnum m05

* Configuration: 2-Way Bass Reflex

* Recommended Power: 40-100 Watts

* Nominal Impedence: 4 Ohms

* Sensitivity: 91dB

* Frequency Response: 70-20KHz

Room is 20"x20" and its a townhome with shared walls so I never really blast it for the sake of my neighbors.

Only using Front speakers for now...

It's in an open air metal tv stand with total ventilation to the receiver.

If it is safe should I be setting to 8 ohm small speaker? Im a n00b and didnt look over the specs of the speaker before I purchased it
The 6 ohm setting just lowers the rail voltage which limits power and decreases the headroom on transients. The transient power needed with most movies/music is something like 10x the average power and it's the average power that makes the amp overheat so the 6 ohm setting doesn't really prevent overheating, it just clips the transients correct?

Ive read yes, ive read no. Ive read if you dont turn it up too high....

Please help before fiancee makes me return everything for a theater in a [email protected][email protected]#%

Haven't used that pioneer but the 8/6 ohm and small/large speaker are 2 different things. Generally if you have a subwoofer set the other speakers (including center) to small. If no subwoofer set speaker to large. The ohm setting is a little trickier. How many more 4 ohm speakers are you running? Basically try to make the stereo run on the higher setting. If it keeps shutting down then change to the lower ohm and rerun setup. It won't play as loud but better than nothing. If that still doesn't work, get 8 ohm speakers or stronger avr or avr with external amplifier connected.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I bought a 1020 and returned it because it couldn't drive my 8 ohm 90DB speakers to loud levels in a 13 x 11 room. It would start to distort around -10 and by the time I got to reference it sounded really harsh and was painful. I was using a subwoofer with the crossover at 60hz. When I switched to 80 it got a little better but still couldn't get as loud as my old Denon 1508. You may not listen as loud as I do so if you don't hear any distortion I wouldn't worry about it. I like my music/movies pretty loud. I usually listen to action movies around -6 on my Denon 3311.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.