Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just upgraded my Sony 10 HT to a Sharp XVZ-9000. I am projecting on a Grey wall, which did wonders to the Sony's poor black level. The Sharp on the other hand has a very high contrast ratio (>1000:1) so its black level as a result are superior to the Sony. The picture looks very good on the Grey wall, But I wonder if by doing that I'm actually decreasing the Sharp's contrast or perceived contrast?

Will projecting on a white wall, as opposed to the Grey wall, improve contrast?

(I know all about screens, but I'm still digesting the Sharp's price:))

Thanx

Ran

·
Registered
145 Posts
No it will not.

The Maximum and the Minimum light output will be affected by the same factor- let's call it x.

So contrast on white is max_ligth / min_light

Contrast on grey wall will be max_light * x / min_light * x = max_light / min_light : The same.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
It seems to me you'd be better projecting on a white surface with some gain, say 1.3, as the Sharp's lumen output is on the low end. In this manner, you could take advantage of the superior contrast ratio, in effect trading a little bit of contrast for improved brightness.

Dan

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Joswig,

Thanks for your reply.

Let me see if I got this right. If the brightness of the projector on my Grey wall is OK, for my eyes, and black level is also OK, then changing the color of the wall, i.e painting it lighter Grey or even white, won't effect my contrast ratio (which will stay the same), but rather the 2 parameters I'm satisfied with (black level and brightness), right?

And if so, I can just switch from 600 Ansi to 800 Ansi (on the remote) to get the same result, rather then paint the wall again.

Dan,

The projector is bright enough for me. I'd rather have good black level then brightness.

Thanx

Ran

·
Registered
145 Posts
Exactly.

And we always have to take into account that human perception is always logarithmic. This means that contrast is far more important than any other measurable parmeter of a pj concernig light output.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.