AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running a 3.1 setup with the Denon 1712 receiver. I have two extra speakers that I have never been able to use since moving into a new apartment (room configuration just doesn't allow it) and I figure I'd put them to use by possibly putting them right next to the current front left and right speakers to "create a bigger speaker" in the hopes of creating a larger soundstage (I have Definitive Promonitor 80's which are relatively small). If I run the Audyssey A+B setup, will i get an "accurate" and wider soundstage? Or is it better just to leave one speaker for the left and right channels? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,789 Posts
This is a very bad idea. Don't do it. You'll end up with a comb-filtered mess, and your imaging will disappear. You *won't* end up with a wider soundstage. If you want a wider soundstage, widen the left/right speaker placements.

Craig

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/20887295

This is a very bad idea. Don't do it. You'll end up with a comb-filtered mess, and your imaging will disappear. You *won't* end up with a wider soundstage. If you want a wider soundstage, widen the left/right speaker placements.

Craig

Thanks for the advice. What is "imaging" by the way?

·
Premium Member
14,789 Posts
Imaging...

For music, a recording engineer places instruments in space in an attempt to recreate the spacing that existed in the original sound. For movies, the placement of sounds should correlate with the visual image. Speakers will "image" the sounds where they are supposed to be placed in space. Some sounds will come directly from one speaker. With good imaging, you will hear it as coming from that speaker. Other sounds will be reproduced by two speakers at the same time. You will "image" this as originating between the two speakers. This is how a 2-channel system can place a vocalist in the middle, between the speakers. The vocalist's voice is actually a "phantom image."

In movies, sounds will "pan" across the screen in correlation with the on-screen image. You want the sound to move in the same proportion to the image. When you set up multiple left /right speakers, you smear the directional cues that allow our ear/brain systems to place the sounds in space.

Using the proper placement of single speakers is the only way to ensure you hear the sonic images that the sound engineer wants you to hear.

Craig

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Does your receiver offer any sort of "Front Presence" capability? That would/could be a reasonable use of those extra speakers, but otherwise I agree entirely with what craig john has said.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walbert /forum/post/20887481

Does your receiver offer any sort of "Front Presence" capability? That would/could be a reasonable use of those extra speakers, but otherwise I agree entirely with what craig john has said.

It doesn't. I'll just stick with the conventional setup. Thanks guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.