AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At lunch I was thumbing through the New York Times business section and they had a story on Rupert Murdoch buying DirecTV. In the article it mentioned that Murdoch was excited about a new set-top box that allows you to reschedule shows and skip over commercials. Kind of sounds like a ReplayTV. This line isn't included in the online version of the story here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/10/bu...ia/10BIRD.html

but it does mention that he is in the market for all sorts of things including set-top boxes. So might he be on the short list of people bidding for ReplayTV on the 15th?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
DirecTV uses Tivo technology.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Does the phrase "substantial installed base" mean anything to you?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bayside you're right, but he could buy ReplayTV and offer both and/or eventually switch all new/future DirecTiVo's over to the ReplayTV service wholey owned by DirecTV. I suppose it would just be easier to pay for CA technolgy in a new DirecTV box using TiVo service.

Carnivore, the idea of R. Murdoch buying ReplayTV was possibly stupid speculation, but the part about a DirecTV box with the abiltiy to skip over commercials is a direct quote. Look it up, today's NYTimes, page 1 of the business section (it's not on their webpage, only in print).

·
Registered
398 Posts
I don't have the print copy of the NY Times here but I guess my question is, what exactly does he mean by "the ability to skip commercials"? Pretty much every PVR on the market now givers users that ability already, either through a fast forward button or a skip button. My point is that I find it hard to believe a company that is so dependent on advertising revenue would be eager to offer automatic commercial skipping. But who knows?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bumber. S'pose that means NWI news will be replaced by All Fox News All The Time. This is like Time-Warner buying half the cable companies in the country. :( More media consolidation = not good

·
Registered
886 Posts
If anything, I would think that DISH would be bidding. Everyone knows their PVR stinks, and if Murdoch takes over DirectTV, he'll be throwing a lot of money around to build up the DirectTV business. That's the way he's worked everywhere else in the world. So Dish would need to do everything in it's power to compete.

Since having a satellite DVR is almost a definite way to reduce subscriber churn, more investments would be made in this area. Hence the need for DISH to upgrade their DVR, and what better upgrade would there be than Replay?

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Rupert could buy both Tivo and Replay, and have a lock on the technology. Something tells me that the FTC wouldn't do a thing about it either. Its would be one way to stifle cable TV introduction of PVR technology and to help gain market share.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by joesc1
If anything, I would think that DISH would be bidding. Everyone knows their PVR stinks, and if Murdoch takes over DirectTV, he'll be throwing a lot of money around to build up the DirectTV business. That's the way he's worked everywhere else in the world. So Dish would need to do everything in it's power to compete.
While I agree that DishPVRs are inferior, and that it might make sense for Echostar to pick up ReplayTV's intellectual property (clearly would not make sense for them to grab any of these existing liabilities), I am sure they would not bother. Charlie Ergen care only about producing things that are "good enough" and not about a quality user experience. He feels that he already owns one company that can make his good enough PVRs and does not care about show based scheduling, and other features that both ReplayTV and TiVo systems offer.

Quote:
Since having a satellite DVR is almost a definite way to reduce subscriber churn, more investments would be made in this area. Hence the need for DISH to upgrade their DVR, and what better upgrade would there be than Replay?
Actually, according to several people in upper management at Hughes, not all PVRs decrease churn substantially. DirecTv went with TiVo service instead of UltimateTv service because they found that they had almost no churn with TiVo customers and not substantially better retention than with their overall subscriber base for UltimateTv customers.

/carmi

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.