AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a service call scheduled for next Wednesday for my Samsung FP-T5084. Basically the problem is that in any dark area on the screen, it is filled with green and red sparkles. It makes it very difficult to watch any movie with a dark scene, as the whole screen will be filled with sparkles.

I've read about this kind of problem with other people's TV's, and it sounds like it could possibly be fixed by a simple voltage adjustment or something. But if this doesn't fix the problem, is it possible that Samsung would just choose to replace the TV?

If they did decide to replace it, what would be a comparable plasma? I know that the 5084 was their top-of-the-line model in 2007, so should I expect their current top TV? Or would I be more likely to get an entry level TV from them?

(Before people reply about how unlikely it is that they choose to replace the TV, please be aware that I already know it is a long shot that they choose to do so. The point of this thread is what is a current plasma that is a fair compromise with my 5084)

Thanks guys

·
Registered
620 Posts
I just had a tech in my house today to fix this same issue. He tried the voltage adjustment which did reduce the blue sparkles i have but did not resolve it completely. He then guessed the issue must lie further in the processor, so he order a new one and will install that next friday. Mine was bought 3yrs ago but is covered under an extended warranty i have. If u have a manufacturer warranty it may be different but i know with store warranties they will typically try to fix it as many times before their lemon policy kicks in(usually on the 4th repair).

·
Registered
187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeelo58 /forum/post/16922424

So I have a service call scheduled for next Wednesday for my Samsung FP-T5084. Basically the problem is that in any dark area on the screen, it is filled with green and red sparkles. It makes it very difficult to watch any movie with a dark scene, as the whole screen will be filled with sparkles.

I've read about this kind of problem with other people's TV's, and it sounds like it could possibly be fixed by a simple voltage adjustment or something. But if this doesn't fix the problem, is it possible that Samsung would just choose to replace the TV?

If they did decide to replace it, what would be a comparable plasma? I know that the 5084 was their top-of-the-line model in 2007, so should I expect their current top TV? Or would I be more likely to get an entry level TV from them?

(Before people reply about how unlikely it is that they choose to replace the TV, please be aware that I already know it is a long shot that they choose to do so. The point of this thread is what is a current plasma that is a fair compromise with my 5084)

Thanks guys

I was in kinda of the same boat, I had the screen buzzing problem as well as green sparkles on my 5084 and they cam out and replaced the power supply but the buzzing noise did not go away.

They (Samsung service center) offered to replace my TV, I stated that I had read on the internet that this model was prone to these issues and I wanted to be assured the new one would not have this issue. They then offered to replace it with a PN50A550 set.

So I imagine that you would probably be able to get them to at LEAST get you into a PN50A550 (which is a pretty good upgrade visually from my experience).

Good Luck!

-Arp

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit /forum/post/16922644

I just had a tech in my house today to fix this same issue. He tried the voltage adjustment which did reduce the blue sparkles i have but did not resolve it completely. He then guessed the issue must lie further in the processor, so he order a new one and will install that next friday. Mine was bought 3yrs ago but is covered under an extended warranty i have. If u have a manufacturer warranty it may be different but i know with store warranties they will typically try to fix it as many times before their lemon policy kicks in(usually on the 4th repair).

It is still under the manufacturer's warranty for another 4 months, so all parts and labor are 100% covered.

And very funny about the ND jokes guys. Ya know, we did just recently get indoor plumbing and electricity. I'm still trying to figure out this thing called a "television". Lots of pretty pictures on there.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeelo58 /forum/post/16923309

It is still under the manufacturer's warranty for another 4 months, so all parts and labor are 100% covered.

And very funny about the ND jokes guys. Ya know, we did just recently get indoor plumbing and electricity. I'm still trying to figure out this thing called a "television". Lots of pretty pictures on there.

I'm glad you have a sense of humor!

Hey I grew up in Northern Idaho....what's a toilet?

Hopefully you have a good Samsung field rep like I did and that you registered the display when you bought it.

File your complaint online at the Samsung website.

Always be decent when talking to customer service (most all the folks I knew from ND were over the top decent in my book really) and polite..keep it positive tell them what you like about it too.

Good luck from about 60 miles southwest of Mt St Helens.

Nolanski departing the fix....I got my DTV back tonight!!!!

Where's a Kleenex?

·
Registered
489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanski /forum/post/16922506

Just kidding...I lived in Grand Forks for 8 years.

Is it still under warranty?

The current top of the line model is the B860.

You actually survived the "bee sized" misquitos for 8 long years and lived to talk about it!?

Minot - 3 yrs 7 months!

·
Registered
998 Posts
A guy I work with had a 5084 that went bad under it's warranty. It took him over four months to get a resolution from Samsung. I hope your venture goes a lot smoother than his. He went through a customer service nightmare. Good luck.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I called the TV repair place Monday afternoon to see if they had received word from Samsung yet on the repair. No dice. I had to call Samsung and see what was up. The woman on the phone was actually very helpful, and sent a fax out to the TV repair shop right away.

Within an hour, I had a call from the repair shop to schedule an appointment. They will be here tomorrow morning. He said he will more than likely just diagnose the problem tomorrow, and then decide what parts need to be ordered. I'm hoping (deep down) that they can't fix the TV, and that I will get to upgrade to a 2009 model
Crossing my fingers!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts