AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my new sony 60xbr800...i have dvi. does the samsung hd931 dvd player work with this dvi? i heard that the samsung only works with dvi/hdcp. is this true?

does my tv have this?

i bought the sony dvp-ns725p with the tv. but not completely satisfied with pq.

and since i have the dvi capability...why not be more cutting edge?

help please!

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
is it true through dvi...that the samsung would blow away (picture quality) any progressive scan dvd player?

i guess since i have the dvi input...maybe i should take advantage of it...if of course the picture is many times more awesome...

· Premium Member
3,215 Posts
If your TV doesn't allow DVI without HDCP, the Sammy will not work. You should also consider the Bravo D1. It will output up-scaled resolutions to displays that do not have HDCP.

There's a Bravo D1 compatibility thread that might have info on your set.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just found this from sony website. does this mean it has hdcp?

DVI-HDTV. An interface that enables spectacular, uncompressed digital-to-digital transport of a video signal from an HDTV receiver to a "high scanning," "High Definition monitor" or "High Definition upgradeable" television. The connection is also secured by HDCP technology to protect the signal from piracy.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i started reading about the denon 1600 and some players from panasonic as being really good progressive scan players.

but then i thought to myself...why not go straight to a dvi player. since i have the dvi input on the tv.

so i've been reading about the bravo d1 and samsung hd931. both seem like excellent players. and sounds like it's significantly better than even the most expensive component progressive scan players.

my question is...what would the difference be between the output of one of these dvi players compared to output from a pc with a dvi video card (ati radeon)?

i'm asking because...i'm getting a free home pc through my company. so i'm getting a pc with a ati video card that has tv-out and dvi. so i was thinking of hooking it to the tv.

opinions?

· Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Alan Gouger (the moderator of the forum) has compared the Bravo D1 to his state-of-the-art HTPC setup and said the image was just as good! That's pretty amazing considering the PC setup cost about $2grand and the D1 $200 bucks.

If you read the HTPC threads, some guys pull their hair trying to get them to work right. I was in the sme boat, I was just about to put one together when the D1 came out.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so it sounds like there's a lot more configuration i would need to do for a pc with dvi out?

i was hoping that after i got my pc with dvi video out...connect it and customize the settings and i would be ready to go.

this is probably not true, right?

but if the pq is similar...not sure if i want to spend more money on a dvi dvd player...when i will get a free home pc with dvi video out.

· Registered
1,229 Posts
If I remember right, from posts on this forum, you model Sony wont offer a true digital path through the DVI input. The signal ends up going through D/A conversions before display.

· Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Here's the Bravo Compatibility List. It's pretty long, so you might have to wade through it a bit.

D1 Compatibility List

· Premium Member
10,598 Posts
This player will work on the GWII, but I would stick with a high quality component model. I have seen a Bravo on a tweaked GWII vs. a Panny DVD-XP30 and I prefer the Panny. The picture is pretty close depending on the type of output you chose, but the Panny allows you to use the scaler built into the TV and saves that precious DVI port for HDTV. I posted more info on these observations in the UMR Does GWII thread.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
interesting. i'm surprised to here that a high quality component player would be better than the dvi player.

not sure if i can find the panasonic xp30 or the xp50. i have seen the denon 1600.

what to do? so many decisions...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.