AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my continued search for the perfect timeshifting and archiving HD recording setup, I've recently read about the upcoming Samsung T-165 STB and about how it works perfectly with the JVC 30K DVHS for timeshifting. However, the Samsung T-165 info says this:
Quote:
Model SIR-T165 will offer all of the features of the SIR-T151 and will add a Digital Visual Interface (DVI) connector, which will be protected with the HDCP copy-protection system and an IEEE-1394 interface with DTCP protection.
Does this mean that it will not allow the recording and playback of OTA HDTV broadcasts of movies like Indy Jones, Star Wars, etc????

Can someone clear this up for me? Thanks!

·
Registered
230 Posts
All OTA broadcasts will record with no problems. "Copy Freely!" The features of the STB are important because you might have, for example, a JVC 30K DVHS deck and you might want to watch a D-Theater tape through your new display's DVI/HDCP input. Basically, the DTCP and HDCP are necessary to get the protected hi-def content to your display without going analog.

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Bob, but all playback from the JVC 30K will happen in my system ONLY through the units component video outputs into my new Pioneer 64" HDTV. I will however, be using the firewire input on the JVC to record first from my HiPix HTPC and then later from the T-165.

Are you saying that the JVC unit can only send and receive full res HD signals through its' firewire input? Are you saying that the component video outputs are down rezzed?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Component will not be downrezzed.

What sucks is that the Samsung DirecTV unit has NO Firewire, which means NO RECORDING. That is such bullsh*t. The Firewire port allows for a signal to say "don't record" to the JVC, so why not include it? This taking it in the bum from the studios and MPAA is getting absurd.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I, actually, used T-165 to record off the air footage on JVC 30k.

Monitor is always connected to T-165 component output and JVC 30k communicates via IEEE-1394 for record and playback.

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
XRAT: thanks for the info. Where did you get to play with these units? Is the T-165 available yet? Until it is, will I be able to record using the firewire input of the JVC 30K and then play back those tapes using the component video outputs of the JVC at full 1080i recorded resolution onto my HDTV?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
What sucks is that the Samsung DirecTV unit has NO Firewire, which means NO RECORDING. That is such bullsh*t. The Firewire port allows for a signal to say "don't record" to the JVC, so why not include it? This taking it in the bum from the studios and MPAA is getting absurd.
I've heard that the reason for this has something to do with graphics overlays. Perhaps it is essential for DirecTV to add graphics in their STB? This is easy to do with DVI. Expensive as hell with firewire. Sounds like a plausible explanation, sort of, maybe. As you say, there's no reason not to have firewire when you can pick and choose what is recordable. So, the purposeful omission of recording seems a less plausible explanation.

As for down-rezzing or "image constraint" -- With D-Theater content, the JVC will put out full resolution analog. However, I wouldn't be willing to place any bets on what happens to D-Theater content when you route the firewire output to a STB which then converts to analog. You might have to connect the JVC and STB separately and switch between the two sources - but only if you watch D-Theater tapes and only if they set the image constraint flag.

·
Registered
6 Posts
XRAT: thanks for the info. Where did you get to play with these units? Is the T-165 available yet? Until it is, will I be able to record using the firewire input of the JVC 30K and then play back those tapes using the component video outputs of the JVC at full 1080i recorded resolution onto my HDTV?

Samsung guys let me play with it... Availability, they said, September-October.

JVC 30k outputs component analog 1080i full resolution. You can record and play back via IEEE-1394 as long as a tape (or other source) is not copy protected.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Sounds promising ... OTA HD rec/play should work then with the Mitsu DVHS deck too.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Xrat:

When did the Samsung guys let you play with the SIR T165. All the info I have seen said a June launch. Did the launch date slip?

----------------Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.