AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are considering getting a motorhome and naturally will want to put a satellite dish on top of it. Started me wondering if DirecTV will ever go to spot beams only - one for each coverage zone in America - and shut down the national feeds. Doubt it, since I assume that a bunch of spot beams would use up a lot more bandwidth than one or two national feeds for each channel - but it's not an area I know a lot about. I assume that DirecTV will always have the means to allow a recreational vehicle user to get a signal wherever he is - but not his locals unless within a certain range.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
It's conceivable. That's what the Spaceway satellites are, in essence. But such an architecture puts a huge amount of complexity on the satellite and the control of the satellite, and throws out many of the benefits of a nationwide broadcast system. I don't see it hapenning anytime soon. And even when it does happen, it shouldn't preclude you from getting access to all the national channels wherever you are - motorhome or not. (They're not going to stop serving rural areas just because they switch to all spots. Every rural area would be in at least one spot)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Just off the top of my head. There are a limited amount of orbital slots available. I don't think dedicated birds are feasiable. Spending $300M-$600M on each sat would have to be justified. Doing that amount of spot beams on one bird would be hard to isolate same frequency antenni. Lots of interaction, intermod, etc.

FWIW.

George

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I doubt that spot beam only transmission would happen. The DBS suppliers would have to then duplicate their national channels with each spot beam.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson
Doubt it, since I assume that a bunch of spot beams would use up a lot more bandwidth than one or two national feeds for each channel
Sounds to me like you're confused as to how spot beams work and why they want them. A bunch of spot beams won't use up more bandwidth, they actually save it. With the spot beam, on a given frequency, they can broadcast one channel in one area of the country, while on the same frequency, broadcast a different channel in another area. In effect, it re-uses the bandwidth to provide local channels to local areas.

It makes no sense to use spot beams to localize a channel that is national, like ESPN.

Also, your concern about the motor home sounds like you think that if you leave your area, you won't be able to pick up "your" spot. Well, right. But you'll pick up the other one. It's the same as if you go on vacation in a hotel, they don't have your local ABC, they have theirs. You make it sound like you think your whole D* system will go blank if you drive 100 miles.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My concern is that DirecTV will restrict you to a particular spot beam. I was assuming that they will do that later this year or early next year when they begin serving the first 12 areas. In that case, if you are out of your area, you won't be able to get the national networks, like ABC, unless there is a separate national service for non-local use.

Obviously, there will be provision made for mobile satellite users. I'm not really worried about that, just wondering how it will work down the road.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
There is no reason at all to take national channels and spot beam them. In fact, it'd be crazy.

Will there always be national network feeds? That I can't say. But I'd expect there will be people who under SHVERA are entitled to them for quite some time.

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson
Obviously, there will be provision made for mobile satellite users. I'm not really worried about that, just wondering how it will work down the road.

There is no provision for mobile satellite users

When you are out of the coverage of your local spotbeam (unless you have a NY or LA address - or white area address) you won't be getting ABC/CBS/FOX or NBC.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After thinking about this for a while, I suspect that there will always be a couple of national feeds for the networks, and a mobile viewer may have to pay for a separate programming package for his motorhome, as opposed to his home system. Similar to "moving" to a small isolated market that isn't covered by a spot beam. I don't think that DirecTV would be able to cut off those folks from network TV. A trailer park without TV? What would Paula Jones do with her evenings?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
It also depends on how far you travel. If you stay close to your home market, the local channels on your spot beam may be receivable with a larger dish. You can try one of the larger Channel Master or Winegard dishes.

If you are wandering all over the country, you probably would be better off with the "White Area" feeds, and look to the internet for hometown news.

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
There is no D* exception for in motorhomes. Offer to pay all you want, you'll get exactly what you do at home. Say it again - D* does not have a Motorhome package for Network DNS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.