AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an advertisement today that SPR will be broadcast with no commercial interruptions on November 11 (on ABC I think). I checked ABC and TitanTV, but no programming data yet...

Does anyone know if it will be HD?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
31 Posts
Saving Private Ryan is scheduled for broadcast in HDTV where available, with 5.1 sound where available. I cannot confirm (or deny) the commercial free info.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by M Chiarulli
Saving Private Ryan is scheduled for broadcast in HDTV where available, with 5.1 sound where available. I cannot confirm (or deny) the commercial free info.

Michael Chiarulli

Gen Mgr, RF & Affiliate Services

ABC-TV

Welcome Aboard, Michael.

First, thanks for the effort ABC has put into making your prime time line up in HDTV for this season.

Second, be around often. I am sure you will find a lot of feed backs toward your programming, both positive and negative, and a lot of questions/suggestions/requests. Sometimes, criticism from some members will be a bit too harsh, but don't let that deter you from participating. We are all in this for better and more HDTV programming.

Thanks again for your HDTV effort. As a result, I find myself watching more ABC programs than any other networks this season. Although your HDTV PQ is still not up to the standard CBS has set, it will get better I am sure, your program in itself is better than what CBS has to offer, IMHO.

Finally, one request: BRING BACK HD MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL.

Hal

·
Registered
757 Posts
Speilberg refuses to allow his movies to be edited, so I guess that this means the 36 "F" words in SPR will be aired uncut in prime time. They just moved "NYPD Blue" to an 8:00 pm start time in our area, and "Philly" is outrageous in its extreme sexual content at 9:00 in the Mountain Time zone. The ABC network and its advertisers are not friends of our family. Even in HDTV.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Quote:
Speilberg refuses to allow his movies to be edited, so I guess that this means the 36 "F" words in SPR will be aired uncut in prime time.
Lucky you, you live in a nation that does not force you to watch anything on TV that does not appeal to you :rolleyes:

I remember when "Schindler's List" was shown on ABC, uncut. A good ol' boy House Member from a Bible Belt state complained in the hollowed halls of Congress about the nudity in the movie. Seems he missed the point, don'tcha think?

You don't think for a moment our boys in Afghanistan aren't gonna let fly a couple of "F" words when their best buddy is blown to bits?

Oh well, to return to the topic: yes, like Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan will be shown uncut without interruption.

·
Registered
170 Posts
must agree, if you are worried about a couple of swears, you know how to turn it off don't you? Don't want a politcal showdown, but after Sept. 11 I thought we were all on the same page - supporting freedom, but for some they feel they should have the "freedom" to decide what is morally acceptable for me to watch. Let the kids play some video games while you get a taste of the price of freedom - wgich could include the "f" word on occasion.

·
Registered
220 Posts
There is no such thing as extreme sexual content on network TV. Try watching a hard R movie, you won't see these on network TV. These people who complain about sex on network TV are living in a damn fantasy land, the networks are not even remotely close to what you see in uncut movies. And as always if you don't like what you see, turn the damn channel!!:p

·
Banned
410 Posts
Too much sexual content?

What amazes me is hyperbolic and hypocratic americans who ***** about explicit sexuality (the act of love) but think nothing of the incessant onslaught of gratuitous violence (the acts of hate) present in the media. And I am not talking about the violence in SPR. I am talking 2 bit trash shows on TV every night which seem to go to every effort to bring the most voilent acts to the screen just for shock factor.

If the F word bothers you in SPR then go bury your head in the sand and get the f* off this board. People like you disgust me.

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Wirehead: lighten up on the caffeine, please! :rolleyes:

Only the moderators can prevent folks from posting here.

I believe that our 'friend' from Utah has never seen SPR, and probably a flyer from one of the far-right religious bigot groups provided him with the information on how many times the F-word is used.

If he actually counted the swear words in the movie, then he is to be truly pitied. Nevertheless, he should feel free to post.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Quote:
I am also a veteran of Vietnam, '71-'72. I know a thing or two about war. And death. If you want to read "bigoted", read the posts after mine. I rest my case.
I appreciate your position (SPR is not appropriate fare for youngsters), and honor your tour of duty in Vietnam. But your post was off topic, and you set yourself up for the passionate replies!

Anyway, hope you are able to watch SPR.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
By the time any child is old enough to be allowed to watch SPR, they should be old enough to understand that fact that people in that situation aren't too worried about network censors. If they aren't old enough to deal with the fact that some people in this world use the F word when being shot at, they ain't even remotely old enough to watch that film, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Back to the ORIGINAL question...

Guess we'll have to wait and see (You all will. I'll NEVER watch ABC again even if Catherine Bell was on squat naked.)

Maybe they won't have "technical challenges" like they did when I invited my family over to watch Apollo 13 when it was presented in HD by ABC (SPIT!).

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
With Hanks in the booth tonight, Al Michaels confirmed no commercials and uncut. Now my only question is OAR? Lord, please don't let them butcher this one.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Wait a minute here!

ABC is running this right up against

"We Stand Alone Together"

(the Band of Brothers documentary)

being shown on HBO-HD.

It seems like there would be a bunch

of people who would want to see both.

I guess us West Coast people are lucky

that 8pm EST (HBOHD) shows at 5PM PST...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Timpanogos

Speilberg refuses to allow his movies to be edited, so I guess that this means the 36 "F" words in SPR will be aired uncut in prime time
Wow. I try to understand all viewpoints, but sometimes I just can't get the Religious Right. Of all the things that might be objectable to younger eyes and ears in SPR, the "F" words are pretty far down on the list.

My kids heard dad use the "F" word for the first time when some idiot almost killed us on the highway last week. I don't think it'll leave a lasting psychological scars. I'm not so sure I could say the same thing about the scenes in the first 15 minutes of SPR.

This reminds me of the filmmaker in the Deep South years ago that used to make incredoubly gory movies that he considered "family films" because they had no sex in them...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.