AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TAW and Key Digital both offer modified DVD players with SDI outputs.

Will this output work with displays that are offering DVI inputs?

Any other company/person doing this kind of mod on consumer

players?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Not that I know of. You'd need a de-interlacer/scaler in between that would input SDI and output DVI. Vigatec makes one, but also many others. They are quite expensive though.

cheers,

Halcy

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Halcy!

JEEZZZZZ!!!!

All I want is a good digital-to-digital connection,

out from the DVD player, into the display,

no added boxes or fuss.... Holy High-DEF !!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Where are the DVI/HDCP DVD players?

DVI/HDCP will bring us all the D2D picture quality that only rich tweakers enjoy today!

Although, I've read of no DVD players that promise this feature.

Ken

·
Registered
819 Posts
KenLand,

I don't think it's possible to release a HDCP supporting player, because the offical specs of HDCP are as of yet undecided.

Tag McLaren has a separate video scaler board for their dvd players that is able to output DVI.

cheers,

Halcy

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Halcy,

I think you have that wrong. KeyDigital is the only one that makes an SDI input and DVI output. TAW also has this option, but I'm not sure if they're pushing it all that much (I certainly haven't heard alot about it on this forum lately).

Vigatec has SDI input (even more than one input for some units). However, I'm quite sure they don't have DVI output.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
An HTPC is your other option. You can do this for about $1,500.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Halcy
KenLand,

I don't think it's possible to release a HDCP supporting player, because the offical specs of HDCP are as of yet undecided.

Tag McLaren has a separate video scaler board for their dvd players that is able to output DVI.

cheers,

Halcy
How is it that shipping displays can have DVI/HDCP inputs if the spec is not available?

JVC's 48" I'Art is already being reviewed by end customers right on AVS.

http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/produc...odel=AV-48WP30

TIA

Ken

·
Registered
282 Posts
Immersive Inc. also does the SDI mod. They will modify Panasonic and Denon players. Mine works great fed to a Leeza then DVI out to a Pio 503CMX.

·
Registered
819 Posts
oferlaor,

Vigatec has a new version of their DUNE processor that has DVI output.

KenLand,

I should have explained myself more fully. First of all, not all devices that advertise DVI/HDCP functionality will actually be useful when the final standard for output devices with DVI/HDCP (or some successor of that) will be adopted. Things are still changing on the consumer device front.

One of these changes is the recent announcement by CE manufacturers to develop a new connector standard HDMI (which uses HDCP) - a different standard from DVI. It might well be that DVI/HDCP will be delegated to professional studio units and that HDMI takes over on the consumer front.

Personally I think the whole issue of what will be the connector type and the copy protection for consumer digital video (and audio) interface is still under the process of being finalized.

As such, I don't think there are any (consumer) devices that output DVI/HDCP that I know of. Perhaps some pro devices, but I*m not aware of those either.

But you are right that some sort of DCI/HDCP spec is out there and a lot of manufacturers are already claiming compliance.

Whether this will be actually compliant with future digital output dvd-players, HDTV set top boxes, etc which might actually have another interface alltogether, well that's another matter completely.

cheers,

Halcy

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Kenland,

The specs are closed - there are even chips (Silicon Image) that you can integrate into your display that claim DVI HDCP compatibility.

However, Halcy is correct, by the time HDCP hits us, it's likely that the specs, connections, etc. will actually change. HDMI is on the horizon and already sets a change from the HDCP specs...

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Oferlaor and Halcy,

You are both respected members so I take your statements seriously but can you point me to a source?

HDMI and DVI CE don't affect the baseband DVI video but add additional signalling (and a smaller connector) for overlays and audio. The only thing that matters as I read it is complying with the HDCP "video in the clear" rules. Any minor convenience enhancements can be dealt with by a simple adapter. (or safely ignored - i.e. run your audio signal on a separate wire)

We already have TV's with DVI/HDCP and we'll have STB's here very shortly. DVI/HDCP DVD players will be a welcome addition!

Ken

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.