AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well heres the big question. WIth the DVD to be the biggest potentially yet. I wander if sony will go all out and release a Superbit or a 2 disc edition with movie only on the first disc and amaze us all.

Do any of you think there is a possibility of this happening?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Never!

If they did that, how could they get you to buy it TWICE like you are supposed to??

Gus

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I know for a fact that there will be at least 2 editions ofthis title. The big SE will be two discs and have commentaries, docs, interviews, etc.

A Superbit is being "considered" as the second release.

BUT, they are also considering a movie only version with a few extras, followed by an SE and a year later, the Superbit. That's 3 releases!

So be prepared to get annoyed.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If only they would agree to DVHS :) All problems would be solved

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I wonder what the surround format will be. The theater I saw the movie at was Dolby Digital EX, I wonder if the DTS version was DTS ES discrete. I can't wait!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can. Sony is allready making me angry with the BHD situation. We know there will be a special edition and then a superbit. I do not understand how this makes them $$. Personally I'm so fed up anymore that I'm just going to rent them. By the time they get around to releasing what I want I can wait for a new better format. Unless they release a superbit in 1 yr thats around $12 I will wait till they cave into DVHS or a new HD format comes out. I'm just plain tired of wasting and building an obsolete DVD library. Hell I have 200+ LDs and I haven't watched one for over 3 months now(Metro a $2 purchase). I have 500+ VHS tapes and its been 6 months since I watched one of those (Meet Walley Sparks)

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
It appeared to be 1.85:1 I don't think they can screw THAT up, can they?

Gus

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank J Manrique
Originally posted by Gus:

"It appeared to be 1.85:1 I don't think they can screw THAT up, can they?"

Sure they can...

-THTS
DOE!

Gus

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Are you kidding? Just another way to milk the consumer for all our hard earned dollars! They might release it 4 times, all with special, super, extra stuff. I still haven't seen the movie, but know I will buy exactly 1 copy of Spiderman on DVD. Just one, no more, no less.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Try renting. I do. Today I rented OCEANS 11 and THE USUAL SUSPECTS SE. I can't buy everything and I am not going to buy any more blockbuster movies from the D-Theater supporting studios, since I plan on going D-VHS next year (or this Christmas). My local Tommy-K stocks just about everything (all A, 99% B and a good amount of older films that are released).

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
According to what's being printed DVHS is already outdated...why would you want tape anyway, it degrades just sitting on the shelf...it's throw away money.

BlueRay looks like it is finally on it's way.

Superbit, Smuperbit, as long as it's of reference quality who cares...take a look at "the Pledge" or Criterion's version of "the Rock", it's not needed if it's done right.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KennyG
Superbit, Smuperbit, as long as it's of reference quality who cares...take a look at "the Pledge" or Criterion's version of "the Rock", it's not needed if it's done right.
I agree 100%

Regarding buying multiple copys of the same title, forget about it. At the risk of appearing smug, I droped out of that equation long ago.

If folks wised up a little and diden't jump on the later versions, these greedy studio's would soon stop what is a trully unsubtle money grabing Avenue. Heck, we may even be given a choice on the same release date. Buy the vanilla flavour or the fancy schmancy version for a few bucks more.

Eric

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
D-VHS is superior to anything out there. Including Broadcast High Definition. And HD DVD is years away (like 4 or 5) and may not even be Blue-Ray.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
The lastest SGHT doesn't seem to think so...HD DVD next year???

A quote "D-VHS is an interim format, and it's unclear how many people will want to buy a player that will soon be outdated."

HD-DVD acticle starts on page 24 of new June issue. You may want to read what they have to say.

Also of note, EE has nothing to do with a transfer being Superbit or not.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Studio wants to screw you into buying the title more than once? You screw them back. 3 step solution.

1. Buy a $1.50 DVD-R disc

2. Rent movie only edition/first release

3. ... you know. :D

That way you'll have your movie while you wait for the ultimate super duper superbit 4disc edition.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Uh, will you be able to record with HD-DVD? No. They don't want that. D-VHS gives 4 hours of 1080i recording per tape. That is bloody awesome.

You don't like it, fine. But don't knock it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.