AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the subject mentions, I have a Sony KF-60WE610 LCD HDTV. It has a DVI input and I have recently purchased a PC with DVI out that will project at every resolution from 1920x1080 on down. The PC's video card specifically indicates it will be friendly via DVI with any HDCP device. The Sony manual states "Can accommodate a copy-protected digital connection (HDCP) to other devices (such as digital set-top boxes) that have compatible interfaces. The DVI-HDTV input terminal is compliant with the EIA 861 standard and is not intended for use with personal computers."

I've read users of other TVs indicate that they hooked up their PC regardless of this indication from the TV manufacturer, but I wanted to check before I purchase the cables and DVI switch I will need to hook all this up and also don't want to damage my TV.

All help and advice appreciated.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
This will work just fine, although you may have to tweak the overscan and may need custom resolution modes. The PC will generally not be using the HDCP protocol in any case (i.e. this is just extra).

The only caveat in some of these cases has to do with IRE color levels, in terms of the TV expecting one set of IRE color levels while the computer may be sending out another.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I've obviously got a lot to learn. Seems to me that the tv/pc convergence needs to start at the display devices or with an intelligent tv/pc resolution handling video receiver of some type. I'd love to ditch my high end Denon DVD and go with an HTPC, but seems like a ton of work to a) spec out a HTPC (gaming video and HDTV video) and all the DVD, TIVO software and b) tweak it for DVD, various games that run at various resolutions, video conferencing and as a computer display. The payoff is huge with a truly unified system controllable via various input devices, but the knowledge seems to be so specialized and the answers too often are some variety of "that depends", that it is daunting even for a PC tech-head .

Ahh well, I'll undoubtedly do it and spend too much $$ learning along the way, but at least this forum exists to help me shortcut some of the more obvious mistakes. Now I'm off to the FAQ to read up what the heck IRE is...

Thanks again.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Another thinjg to keep in mind is that digital video levels are constrained to the 15 to 235 numbers (not sure if those are the exact numbers) while computer can use the whole 1 to 255 range (8 bit signals).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.