AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It wouldn't make sense for them to leave the consumer projector market. If anything, the death of the commercial cinema as we know it will lead to a larger demand for consumer level devices.
The market for home projectors is very small and if they are having similar issues with their image block I would not be surprised if the left the market.

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
The only reason why they might stop making projectors is they believe the size of domestic TVs might make projectors redundant which might be true but for this to truly happen the cost will need to approach like for like.

Reactions: Archibald1

·
Registered
19,061 Posts
Does Sony even have significant market share in home projectors? I don't see anyone talk about them nor have I ever heard of any of their projectors. Seems like people only buy Optoma, BenQ, Epson.
Sony is one of the larger players in the higher end home theater market.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
It wouldn't make sense for them to leave the consumer projector market. If anything, the death of the commercial cinema as we know it will lead to a larger demand for consumer level devices.
My thinking too.
Also, they could divert all the resources from the commercial line to the consumer line.
They will want to maximise the use of all that development tech.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Does Sony even have significant market share in home projectors? I don't see anyone talk about them nor have I ever heard of any of their projectors. Seems like people only buy Optoma, BenQ, Epson.
You must be new here then...… ;):D

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
The better question is why would anyone now buy a Sony projector knowing that the imaging chips have failed for the same reasons in literally every other application they've been used in.

There is an inherent flaw in the SXRD design that has come to light in everything from their initial rear projectors to now their cinema projectors.

Certainly their home theater projectors are not immune from the same issue as many current owners have found out.

·
Registered
30,230 Posts
My thinking too.
Also, they could divert all the resources from the commercial line to the consumer line.
I do not know if the consumer market is large enough for Sony to justify a lot of R&D money. BenQ uses standard DLP platform, Epson has the large institution (schools) market, JVC has the flight simulator market. Without a larger market for Sony, I am concerned. I certainly hope they stay in the market. A little competition is good. :)

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
My thinking too.
I do not know if the consumer market is large enough for Sony to justify a lot of R&D money. BenQ uses standard DLP platform, Epson has the large institution (schools) market, JVC has the flight simulator market. Without a larger market for Sony, I am concerned. I certainly hope they stay in the market. A little competition is good. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
For the mid term at least one could argue that R&D has already been done.
It will be a sad day if they stop making them.
I reckon they just used the current opportunity to get out of an arrangement that was losing them money. It is just basic business sense. I sincerely hope it didn't translate into the consumer/prosumer arena.
It may be a smaller market, but I would say the margins are bigger and consumers don't usually demand costly support (such as annual OB replacement) as part of the deal.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
To be a bit more cynical, it could also be the fact that Sony realizes that before most home users acquire the amount of time on their projectors the cinema projectors have when they start to show degradation, the warranty for the home projector owner will be over and they have limited clout as opposed to say the AMC theater chain.

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To be a bit more cynical, it could also be the fact that Sony realizes that before most home users acquire the amount of time on their projectors the cinema projectors have when they start to show degradation, the warranty for the home projector owner will be over and they have limited clout as opposed to say the AMC theater chain.
I really think it was a matter of cost. To support the Movie Theater market Sony had to employ a large staff with 24/7 service. If a theater projector went down there could be big revenue loss. The cost of doing this became much too expensive and Sony decided to leave the market to Christie and Barco which use DLP.

The home market is a different animal. I have no idea how many home projectors sell each year but the number is not very large. The big question is Sony making a profit on home theater projectors and is the cost of developing new products worth the effort in today's market. I would hate to see Sony throw in the towel.

Competition helps bring about innovation.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Competition helps bring about innovation.
Indeed it does, but I suspect the cinema projector technology trickled down to the home projector marketplace, and now when R&D costs will have to be borne by the home theater side, I don't see how Sony makes that financial equation work.

We'll see soon enough, but that was my initial impression.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I've been using Sony projectors for more than ten years and now that I have the upgrade bug I'm about to purchase another Sony but will upgrade to 4K. I have never owned an Optoma but I have used BenQ and a high end Sharp 12000 MKII. We are out there :)

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,562 Posts
The home market is a different animal. I have no idea how many home projectors sell each year but the number is not very large.
While it's not very large, there has to be at least 10x as many home projectors for every single theater projector sold. I mean we have 3 theaters in our city, each has maybe 10 rooms? (I dunno I dont go there). I'm sure there are more than 30 sony projectors sold in the same city this year.

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
While it's not very large, there has to be at least 10x as many home projectors for every single theater projector sold. I mean we have 3 theaters in our city, each has maybe 10 rooms? (I dunno I dont go there). I'm sure there are more than 30 sony projectors sold in the same city this year.
I am sure that what you say is true but 10 or even 20 times the number of AMC theater projectors sold is still a very small number. That being said the home market is totally different than the professional market. Sony has been practically selling no new motion picture theater projectors for several years. AMC and a few other companies were the only ones using them and not in all their theaters. The cost of support was just too much at this point. Christie and Barco are the big ones today in this market and have the ability to service their units. These projectors are used for Concerts, advertising and other large venue presentations along with movie theaters so they have more than one market. Sony only had AMC and a few other companies using their equipment. Both Christie and Barco have come out with new models while the Sony projector was developed in 2009 and has had only a few changes. With the cost of replacing the optical block each year it just became not worth it for Sony to stay in this business. They actually nearly gave the original units away to AMC for free advertising saying that the theater used
Sony equipment. They thought this business model would work but with the problems they have had it did not and they are bailing out.

I hope that this will not also happen to their home cinema division. JVC has a big presence in the simulator market and that is much larger than Home Theater.
Epson Benq and others sell to schools and business users. With the current world downturn we can only hope that Sony and other home theater projectors survive.

·
Registered
891 Posts
The better question is why would anyone now buy a Sony projector knowing that the imaging chips have failed for the same reasons in literally every other application they've been used in.

There is an inherent flaw in the SXRD design that has come to light in everything from their initial rear projectors to now their cinema projectors.

Certainly their home theater projectors are not immune from the same issue as many current owners have found out.
As a former Sony projector owner who experienced "panel degradation", I agree with what you said.

However, the greater question is this:

Since it is clearly evident from the article that SONY Corp has allegedly known about this critical inerrant flaw in their imaging chip technology across their entire commercial AND consumer projector lines for years. knowingly selling a defective product, all the while habitually denying, refusing to acknowledge, never admitting the problem ever even exists, in spite of innumerable, well documented "panel degradation" issues, problems and complaints from SONY consumer projector owners across the entire line for well over a decade (as well documented on AVS and other HT websites), while at the same time, according to the article secretly replacing the defective part/parts on commercial theater projectors on a "yearly basis" across the country, and around the world because SONY Corp has known the problem exists, and has existed, all along!

I think the bigger question is how long will it be before a massive class action lawsuit is filed on behalf of thousands, upon thousands of consumers against SONY Corp because they have alledgedly been sold projectors containing a technology that SONY has known to be inherently defective for years.

That is the bigger question, and given this very public development it will be interesting to see how long it takes before that happens.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts